When one talk about Readymade mortar, first of all, one need to know and understand mortar. Mortar is a workable paste used to bind stone, cement block, bricks and concrete masonry unit together by filling and sealing the gap between them. Sometimes decorative colours are added for architectural purpose. When the mortar in proper proportions of two or more ingredients is available in premix form, it is called Readymade mortar.
Courtesy - Pexels
There are different types of Readymade mortar available in the market depending on their workability and mixture of binding material (like cement, lime), fine aggregates (like sand, surkhi), water, admixture and colour. The function of readymade mortar is to bind building materials, to carry out pointing work and to carry out plaster work, to form an even and soft bedding layers, to form joints of pipe, to hide the open joints of brickwork and stone, to carry out structure maintenance work etc.
The following are the types of readymade mortar depending upon the materials used to prepare the premix.
01. Readymade Cement mortar
02. Readymade Lime mortar
03. Readymade Surkhi mortar
04. Readymade Cement Lime mortar
01. Readymade Cement Mortar is premix of cement and sand, where cement act as a binding material. The proportion of cement to sand varies from 1:2 to 1:6 depending upon strength desired for a particular work.
02. Readymade Lime Mortar is premix of lime and sand, where lime acts as a binding material. Lime to sand ratio is kept 1:2 (1 part of dry lime is mix with 2 part of dry sand).
03. Readymade Surkhi Mortar is premix of lime and surkhi (fine particles of burnt clay). Lime to surkhi ratio is kept 1:2 (1 part of dry lime is mix with 2 part of dry surkhi).
04. Readymade Cement Lime Mortar is premix of Cement, lime and sand, where cement and lime act as binding materials. It is famous as combination or gauge Readymade mortar.
Readymade mortar is available in 5 kg (For Repairing), 25 kg and 50kg bags. Water shall be added on site as per particular work requirement. Adding water in premix on site will be as per IS Code or as directed by an engineer in charge.
Depending on their function, longer shelf life and strength, many brands are available in market with a price tag of Rs150to Rs700 per 50 kg bag of Readymade Mortar.