Do you have a old set of cane furniture/wicker furniture in your house which need to remodel (the old look). Then you have a two options for it, the very first you can paint it according to the theme of internal or exterior colour or of your choice and second option is to give a polished look by retaining its natural colour.
The Paint on cane furniture that has usually used for outdoor patios may began to peel & flake off. You can refinish your old cane furniture by removing old finish and painting it with an oil base or latex paint. Here we have given the tips to paint your old cane furniture.
Courtesy - Freerangestock
First you’ll need…
|Sand paper or Emery paper (180 & 320)||Rag (piece of old cloth)||Newspaper|
|Mixing mug||Wood primer||Wood enamel (oil based paint)|
Tips to paint your old cane furniture:
01. First put on the old clothes and wear a mask if you are not habituated to a strong smell of primer or paint. We also suggest to use safety glass for your eyes and you can also cover your nose by using cloth instead of mask.
02. Set up your work area by spreading the sheets of newspaper at the place where you are going to paint (outside or inside the house) which would be well ventilated and place the furniture on top of it.
03. Now use the emery sheet / sandpaper and rub the furniture to remove the old paint / varnish/ dirt etc. This process of scrubbing may allow more dust, the more you scrub better would be the finish.
04. The smooth surface will now allow a primer coat. Buy a wood primer from a store & simply follow the instructions given on the Wood Primer Can by mixing it with required quantity of thinner in an old mug.
Note: Primer can only be removed by using thinner, so be ensure that you have adequate amount of thinner before starting your work. To achieve good finish, first take amount of primer on brush and be reassured that it is not dripping off.
05. Apply the primer coat & dry it for about 24 hours before you apply second coat and follow the same procedure as you did for the first coat.
06. As both the coat get dried, rub the entire surface with sandpaper (of about 180 grade) to get the finish smoother.
07. Now mix small quantity of (oil base or latex paint) paint with thinner (for this just follow the ratio specified on the container) & apply it on furniture. Let it get completely dried to apply the another coat.
Note: You can also apply one coat of primer and two coats of paint.
08. After both coats dries out, apply one coat of varnish or wood sealer. By applying this it will protect the chair from dirt / dust and help to retain the paint.