This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Laminates are the most commonly used a wooden product that is used in furniture. It is used as an overlay over wooden furniture. Standard laminates are used in normal applications like furniture, cabinetry, table tops, etc. They are used for decorative walling and flooring. They are available in different size, shapes, colours, textures and patterns.
Also Read: What is a Laminate?
Courtesy - 123rf
Different types of laminate have several advantages and disadvantages. Here we give certain advantages and disadvantages of laminate which are as under:
01. It is easy to clean.
02. It is easier to install than many traditional surfaces.
03. It is more economical and requires less skill to install.
04. It is available in numerous designs, patterns, colours and textures and hence it is pleasing.
05. It is very durable, hygienic and relatively easy to maintain.
06. No polishing painting is required.
07. It is the best choice for heavy use environments.
08. It can be installed over almost any existing floor.
09. It is moisture resistant. Also, it is an impact, shock and pressure resistant.
10. Sweeping or vacuuming is typical, all it takes to get laminate clean.
11. It is highly resistant to scratch and abrasion.
12. Availability of huge range leads to least wastage.
01. While it can follow the look of a veneer, laminate flooring does not come close to the feel of those textures of a veneer. No matter how high in quality, it cannot simulate the feel of real wood under your feet.
02. It is known to be toxic as it is known to release formaldehyde, the volatile organic compounds.
03. Once the top layer has been worn through, the whole floor must be replaced.
04. It is difficult to be recycled.
05. It is a brittle material hence is prone to clipping.
06. Laminate flooring has been very slippery, and affecting your safety.