What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Mud Flooring over PVC Flooring?
Flooring is a permanent covering of the floor. Floor covering can be made of any finishing material, applied over a floor structure to provide a smooth surface. Nowadays, varieties of flooring materials are available in the market, i.e. Tile Flooring, Mud Flooring, Natural Stone Flooring, PVC Flooring, etc. Different types of flooring materials have its unique qualities, functions, advantages and disadvantages.
Also Read: Floor Components: All You Like to Know!
Mud Flooring is a natural type of flooring. It is more suitable for Indian and Tropical climate and mostly used in villages. Mud flooring is cheap and hard. It is fairly impervious, easy to construct and easy to maintain.
Also Read: What is a Mud Flooring?
PVC flooring has very smooth top surface and a rough lower surface. It has a shiny, modern appearance. It is popular for its cost-effectiveness, quality and durability.
Here we give you advantages and disadvantages of Mud Flooring:
- The main advantage of mud flooring is; it is eco-friendly.
- Mud flooring is a very cheap option compared to PVC flooring or any other type of flooring.
- There is no health concern in case of mud flooring whereas PVC flooring emits high VOC compound which is not good for health.
- Mud flooring has ability to control the temperature variations. During summer it stays cool and vice a versa during winter time. It can provide fairly warm atmosphere.
- It is a fire resistant compared to PVC flooring.
- Skilled labours not required to do the mud flooring.
- It is not durable as compared PVC flooring.
- Mud flooring requires frequent maintenance, once or twice in a week.
- The surface of the mud flooring is not smooth as compared PVC flooring.
- Mud flooring gets weathered due to certain activities i.e. walking, moving of furniture, etc.
- It is not moisture resistant therefore there are chances of the growth of bacteria which is unhygienic.
- It dost not resist heavy load as the floor gets dent.
- Mud flooring has low resistance to stain as it has high porosity.
- Its life is limited.
After considering the advantages and disadvantages of mud flooring, the homeowner should take the decision according to his convenience and budget.
Image Courtesy: Image 2