Advantages and Disadvantages of Particle Board
Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
Particle board has recently gained popularity in construction industry due to its versatility and cheap price. It is extensively used in production of all types of furniture, paneling, and partition structures. They can be used as a substitute to plywood to lower the cost. Nowadays, laminated particle board and veneered particle board have gained more popularity as they enhance the beauty of a room and also increase life of plain particle board.
Particle board is an engineered wood product made from waste products like wood chips, sawdust, and wood shavings. It is also called chipboard or low density fiberboard (LDF). Before buying it a homeowner must know the advantages and disadvantages of particle board. Here we have tried to give certain advantages and disadvantages of particle board.
Courtesy - Shutterstock
Advantages and disadvantages of particle board are as follows:
- The major advantage of selecting particle board is that it is a cost-effective option against plywood or medium density fiberboards. Laminated particle boards and veneered particle boards provide decorative looks in low price as compared to plywood.
- It provides smooth and flat surface for sticking decorative laminates or wood veneer. This particle board is stronger and aesthetically attractive. Thus laminated particle board and veneered particle boards are now used in mass production of office furniture.
- It does not dent or distort easily.
- Due to its lightweight property, particle board can be easily transported and handled.
- Particle board has more screw holding capacity as compared to MDF, so it is widely used to make furniture which can be assembled using screws.
- It requires minimal maintenance and is easy to clean.
- Particle boards have thermo-acoustic insulation properties, so they are very much useful in speakers and in false ceiling of auditoriums, theaters, etc.
- It is an eco-friendly material as it uses wood waste such as wood chips, sawdust, wooden shavings, and bagasse which is residue of sugarcane after the juice is extracted.
- Particle board has low strength as compared to other fiberboards. It has low density so it can be easily damaged while transportation.
- In presence of moisture, particle board expands and warps. Also in extreme conditions discolouration can occur.
- As it has low strength and gets damaged in presence of moisture, particle boards have low durability and less life as compared to medium density fiberboard and plywood.
- It cannot support heavy loads as it is weak in strength.
- Particle boards can be toxic, as they are manufactured using urea formaldehyde resin which is the source of formaldehyde gas. Even after years of installation, the resin can break down and release formaldehyde gas, which carcinogenic for humans i.e. causing cancer.
There are many application of particle board furniture in the interior of the home. Although particle board has low strength, but it also comes in a fairly low budget. After considering the advantages and disadvantages of particle board, the homeowner should take the decision according to his convenience and budget.