- A reinforced plastic material composed of glass fibers embedded in a resin.
In other words
- A textile fabric made from woven glass filaments.
- Commonly known as glass-reinforced plastic (GRP), Glass-fiber reinforced plastic (GFRP)
Courtesy - 123rf
- Fiber reinforced composite columns
- Thermal insulation
- Fibre glass reinforced plastics.
- Widely used for insulation of pipes, bends, valves.
- Thermal insulation of cold storages, Containers
- For panel insulation for all types of industrial equipment.
- Traffic lights
- Ship Hulls
- Water pipes
- Bath tubs
- Helicopter rotor Blades
- Pods, domes and architectural features where a light weight is necessary
- Auto body parts
- Reinforcement of asphalt pavement as a fabric or mesh between lifts.
- Storage tanks
- House Building
|Material||Specific Gravity||Tensile Strength MPa (ksi)||Compressive Strength MPa (ksi)|
|Polyester resin (Not reinforced)||1.28||55 (7.98)||140 (20.3)|
|Polyester and Chopped Strand Mat Laminate 30% E-glass||1.4||100 (14.5)||150 (21.8)|
|Polyester and Woven Rovings Laminate 45% E-glass||1.6||250 (36.3)||150 (21.8)|
|Polyester and Satin Weave Cloth Laminate 55% E-glass||1.7||300 (43.5)||250 (36.3)|
|Polyester and Continuous Rovings Laminate 70% E-glass||1.9||800 (116)||350 (50.8)|
|E-Glass Epoxy composite||1.99||1,770 (257)||–|
|S-Glass Epoxy composite||1.95||2,358 (342)||–|
Also Read: Properties & Characteristics of Glass
Size & Thickness:
- Thickness varies from 25 mm to 150 mm
- Size – 854 X 2082 mm
- Soft to touch and flexible in nature.
- High tensile strength.
- Proof against fire, vermin, water and acids.
- Thermal and sound insulation of air crafts.
- Increase impact strength of concrete and restrict shrinkage creeps.
- Consists of minute glass rods and each glass rod represents the parent material in all respects.
- Made from silica glass in a special manner, by forcing the molten glass through fine apertures under high pressure, when thread like mass is obtained.
- Prepared either in the form of continuous strands just like silk or in the staple form just like wool.