Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
- Contains 350 million inert air cells per cum.
- Hence it floats in water and it can be cut easily like wood.
- A light, opaque, black, cellular glass made by adding powdered carbon to crushed glass and firing the mixture.
- Fire proof, rigid and an excellent heat insulator.
- Good thermal and acoustic insulator.
- Also known as Cellular Glass.
- It is lightweight and has fine, watertight pores that make it an exceptional barrier against moisture, humidity and debris.
Courtesy - 123rf
- Used in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning industry, as a substitute for cork.
- Used in Flooring.
- Used as a Substitute for partition.
- Used as a Corning.
Must Read: All You Want to Know About Wire Glass
Size & Thickness:
Thickness varying from 30mm to 150mm
- Prepared in the form of rectangular blocks
- Foamed glass is manufactured using a process that traps gas bubbles in the glass, creating an expanded material with a spongy consistency.
Steps to Make Foam Glass:
- Using industrial glass crusher, first clean and crush recycled glass material.
- Use enough glass to fill the glass furnace to capacity for time and cost efficiency.
- Use glass that has a similar expansion coefficient for best results. The temperatures at which the glass melts and re-solidifies.
- Mix crushed glass with powdered cullet that adds strength to the glass and with a carbon based material such as coal powder.
- The carbon reacts with the glass to create carbon dioxide, which develop a foam consistency with a volume approximately 15 times that of the original crushed glass.
- Place the crushed glass mixture on heat tolerant kiln forms with an anti sticking agent.
- Load the kiln forms onto the roller conveyor to a high temperature tunnel furnace.
- The glass should be heated to 1,000 to 1,300 degrees Celsius.
- Slowly cool or anneal the foamed glass.
- Gases allowing the glass to expand while heating and then stabilize during cooling.
- The finished product will be pumice stone.