This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Do you See Problems on your Walls while Applying Paint?
Yes, such problems occur because of the presence of discoloured patches caused by cracks and dampness on the walls. Until you deal with such problem areas, no matter how expensive paint you applied, it always looks bad. All these problems can be repaired by applying putty on the wall before you start painting work.
Wall putty is basically a white cement-based powder that is created into a smooth mixture and applied to the wall before paint application. It provides smooth and even finishes to your wall for paint application. Wall putty is also essential for hardness and durability of the wall prior to painting. Therefore, applying putty on wall is an important task. However, before you begin, it is necessary to know “How to Apply Wall Putty?”
Here we have described step by step procedure of application of wall putty:
Procedure for Applying Putty on Wall
01. Surface Preparation
- Ensure that the surface on which you apply putty is plastered or made with the cementitious material.
- Give separate treatments or remedial measure for dampness, efflorescence, fungus, leakages on your wall.
- Ensure that the surface is totally clean. It should be free from dust, loose particles, residual paints, grease, oil or any other contamination.
- Remove all loose or poorly adhering material from the surface by rubbing down with help of sandpaper or with wire brush or with putty blade and after that wipe it out.
- Wet the wall with sufficient quantity of clean water and allow them to dry before applying putty on wall. Ensure that surface is just wet. Over wetting results in accumulation of water on a surface should be avoided.
- Mix the wall putty with required amount in a pan and add water to it in a 2:1 ratio or as per manufacturer’s instruction.
- Stir continuously by hand or by an electric putty mixer for about 10-15 minutes. Mix thoroughly to get a creamy, paste-like consistency.
- Make sure that it does not create lumps while mixing.
- Prepare the mix in such a way so that you can use it within the next two hours.
Also Read: White Wash: All You Need to Know
03. Application of Wall Putty
- Apply one coat of primer before start applying putty on wall and dry it overnight. Some putty manufacturers recommend the application of primer before putty and some do not. Therefore, follow the manufacturer’s instructions as it might be governed by the ingredients of putty.
- Apply the first coat of putty in a vertical “bottom to top” manner by using a putty blade/spatula/ trowel or any finishing tool.
- Allow the first coat to dry completely for a minimum of 6 to 8 hours.
- Once the first coat is dry, just rub the surface gently with sandpaper in order to remove the loose particle.
- After finishing the first coat, start applying the second coat of wall putty.
- Leave the surface to dry completely for hours. After complete drying of second coat rub the surface very gently to remove unevenness with the help of using sandpaper to get a glossy white surface.
- The minimum thickness of the wall putty should be limited to a maximum of 1.5 mm. If it is thicker, it may peel off or even cracks after some time.
- Drying time of wall putty may vary according to the temperature, humidity and thickness. In some cases, drying time will be significantly longer in cool and damp conditions and thick coating.
Wall putty, when applied with perfection, helps to accent the finish and beauty of the paint. Therefore, choose the right wall putty and paint to brighten every area with a wall finish that is worth a second glance.