Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
Interior decoration is incomplete without painted walls. Proper wall decoration will surely enhance the beautiful look of your house. We use paint because it makes our surroundings more attractive, live and vibrant. Deterioration of the paint earlier to its rated life is considered as a failure of the paint.
Several defects like blushing & blooming, patchiness, wrinkling, etc. are observed in painting, either during painting or sometimes after the painting. These defects arise due to either chemical attacks, effects of atmosphere, sunlight, heat, humidity and dust or individually or jointly deteriorating it. Among them, bittiness is one of the most common defects observed.
Courtesy - 123rf
Bittiness is a condition in which small particles projects themselves out on the surfaces of the film of paint or varnish yielding a rough surface. It is mainly caused due to dirty brushes, dirty surfaces, dusty atmosphere, and bits of dried-up paint that gets stirred in. We have already discussed causes of bittiness in our recent article.
Precautions to Prevent Bittiness on Painted Surface:
- Take utmost care during both preparation and application of paint.
- Ensure that the surfaces are smooth.
- Stir the paint if necessary.
- Avoid dusty conditions and use clean brushes. It is advisable to wash the brush out before starting painting work.
- Use new uncontaminated paint.
- Follow good painting practices.
- Do not mix chalk or powder in paint.
Tips for Fixing or Repairing Bittiness:
- To reinstate a bitty surface, allow the coating to harden and then rub it down carefully with fine waterproof abrasive paper, preferably use wet.
- Remove the paint using appropriate thinner.
- Scrap or completely remove the contaminated layer and recoat.
- Recoat with fresh paint using clean equipment.
- If the surrounding is open to dust, it should be covered externally at the time of painting and should be covered till the paint surface attains dry condition to avoid external dust.
- Use only good quality paint brushes and wash with a little white spirit and making sure that the brush is completely dry before starting work.
You have therefore to apply paint very carefully after reading the manufacturer’s instructions properly. Understand properly the causes of bittiness and take required precautions. Your painted surface will have a defect free life. Enjoy it.