Tips to choose the Best Location for Wall Mounted Air Conditioning Unit in Room!
Gharpedia helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion. Want to become a contributor at gharpedia? Register here
Are you confused with where to place your indoor AC? Do you think that positioning the split AC unit will bring a difference to the cooling in your room? How tricky can it be placing the wall mounted air conditioning unit or indoor unit in different layouts? If all these questions are stressing you out …Gharpedia brings answers to all your questions regarding the position of split AC unit in your space. Before we absorb this in detail, let us first understand in brief about air conditioning and advantages of wall mounted / split AC units.
Owing to the steep humidity levels in tropical countries air-conditioners are fast becoming essential rather than a luxury commodity. A critical point to remember here is where to install AC units in a room to maximize their cooling. The air-conditioner market is replete with cooling options – Window ACs, Central Units, Split ACs, Wall Mounted ACs, et al …of these the last variant.
Pointers – Placement of Wall Mounted Air Conditioning Unit of Split AC
The location of your AC unit is very crucial as the right position of your indoor unit translates into the winning combination of efficient performance and cost-saving. Hence, you can have your wall mounted air conditioning unit regulating the room temperature without costing you much by something as simple as selecting the proper place on your wall for your indoor AC unit.
Wall Mounted Air Conditioning Unit of Split AC
Check whether the wall meets the criteria for installing the indoor AC unit on it. If the wall passes the test, follow these tips to select the wall on the basis of the layout of the room. There are certain things that can affect how your AC performs based on its position. These tips will definitely ensure the placement of Split AC in your room turns out helpful to you:
01. Place the AC unit away from heat sources. Heat sources in a room can be any appliances like kitchenware or any external portion that enjoys exposure to sunlight, etc. If the AC unit is placed too close to these, then the thermostat will receive a false reading leading to no cut-off of the compressor.
02. Install the indoor AC where there is no interruption in the airflow from the unit. In short, do not place it behind any furniture or a door that will obstruct the flow from the unit. An interrupted flow in a unit can affect the lifespan of the AC.
03. Place the indoor AC unit at a proper height ensuring that it does not block the passageway. The ideal height of the indoor unit should be 7 feet from floor level for split type ACs. Indoor AC unit must be installed high on the wall to ensure that cool air is distributed evenly throughout the room.
04. Try installing the indoor AC unit away from electrical appliances. A Split AC unit above an electrical appliance can cause unwanted trouble by leaking water into the unit.
05. Universal law of spaces suggests that, the central location of an AC unit in a room can ensure a uniform flow throughout the room. The airflow from the unit falls at a distance of 3-5 feet from the unit depending upon the range of the model. The furniture layout, the openings, the size and the shape of a room govern the location of the AC.
Placing AC on a Longer Wall
In case of a room of a rectangular shape, the indoor AC unit should be preferably placed on the longer wall to trap the cooling in the room.
Four Different Layouts and Preferable AC Locations
If there are multiple openings in the room, then it is advisable to place the split AC unit in such a way that the flow hits a plain wall instead of hitting the wall having openings in it. The airflow towards the opening leads to more load on the compressor and hence more power consumption.
Four Different Layouts for Long Rooms and Preferable AC Locations
In case of a rectangular room having a wall-length twice larger than the width – it is strongly recommended to place the indoor unit on the shorter wall to cover the long space of the room.
Placing 2 ACs in a room
For rooms with a 30 feet plus length, Gharpedia advises placing two indoor AC units on the same wall. Placing the AC units opposite to each other can create non-uniform air circulation leading to overloading one of the ACs.
Placing AC in a Weird-shaped Angular Room
In case of a room that has different areas and not a rectangular shaped plan, the AC should be installed in the larger section of the room.
06. Place the AC unit according to furniture layout.
Placing AC According to Furniture Layout
We usually install the AC at the centre of the space we use and not at the centre of the wall. The aim is to create a uniform flow of air in the utilized space.
Placing AC According to Bedroom Furniture Layout
We prefer receiving an indirect flow from AC; as a direct flow from the AC can create a discomfort zone. Long-term direct flow can cause health problems like dry skin, pain in joints, sore throat, etc. For these reasons it is advisable to place the AC on the farthest side-wall of the bed in a bedroom.
Now that you have known the points for placement of wall mounted AC Units, we have added an informative article for you regarding thing you need to check while AC installation. Things to Check While AC Installation!
After having known the placement of wall mounted AC Unit and its tips for installation, here’s a quick peep into the reasons for why Wall Mounted AC Units are flooring customers…
Advantages of Wall Mounted AC Units
01. Available in a wide variety of designs, sizes, capacities and efficiencies.
02. Since modern wall units tend to be very energy efficient, the running costs of this type of system are far lower.
03. Valuable space saver: Wall mounted AC saves a lot of space as it is installed high on the walls. It works well in homes as well as offices with small spaces. It does not even occupy the floor space.
04. As these are wall-mounted there is no appliance blocking your view from the outside; leaving you with the leeway of opening your windows for some fresh air. Hence, you can install wall mounted AC on most convenient part of the wall.
05. High safety quotient as most window air conditioners can be easily pushed and burglars can easily open your window locks; while wall-mounted air conditioners pose a challenge in terms of disassembling them.
06. More aesthetically pleasing as compared to bulky window air conditioner units – The sleek design of the modern wall air conditioner means that it can unobtrusively be placed in the room without compromising the amount of light or view from the window. Moreover, the modern wall-mounted units are designed to be slimmer and smaller than their older counterparts – meaning that any style of decor will not be compromised by adding a unit into the room.
07. As compared to central HVAC systems which require disruption for installation; these wall mounted units cause very little damage to decor during installation.
08. A wall mounted split system air conditioner allows you to both heat and cool the room without needing a separate device. This versatility allows you to efficiently ensure that your room feels comfortable regardless of the time of year.
09. It improves the home’s air quality by reducing the amount of allergens, dust and bacteria. People with bad allergies benefit from wall mounted AC. In order to help you out in maintaining AC for getting hygienic air, we have a blog for you: Get the Most Out of the Tips to Maintain AC for Hygienic Air!
On a final note, there are many permutations and combinations depending upon the openings, shape, size and the layout of a room. You need to understand the flow of an AC, try to trap the cool air, avoid leakage and then zero-in on the most suitable location for your room. A wise step would be tapping the rich expertise of technicians by consulting them with regards to the best possible location of the AC unit for your room.
The positive spin-offs of this practical strategy are aplenty – comfort; less load on the AC unit; and perceptible drop in electricity bills!
Since you are riding high on AC Unit and its installation, we have blogs for you related to choosing best location for AC Unit, choosing the right AC for you. Here they are:
Urnit Kaur – Urnit Kaur is an Architect based in Ahmedabad. She loves Design challenges and it helps her client’s to bring their thoughts into reality. She has been passionately involved in Architecture from designing projects to managing them on site since 2014. She has been part of Ahmedabad Heritage Dossier project, designing ISRO Bopal campus and currently working on other varied scale projects with Aakruti Architects. With her rich experience in fieldwork, she shares tips and facts in her blogs about Architecture, Interior and MEP services. She believes learning should never stop, so she has developed a hobby of creating colorful home décor items by experimenting different materials and aesthetics.