Modular Kitchen vs Carpenter Made Kitchen: Which is Better?
Mahadev Desai is the Founder and CEO of gharpedia.com and SDCPL a leading design consultancy firm having strong national presence. He has a degree in Civil Engineering (BE) and Law (LLB) and has rich experience of 45 years. Besides being the Editor in Chief, he also mentors team at GharPedia. He is associated with many professional bodies. He is also co-founder of 1mnt.in the first in Industry software for contractors’ billing. He is a voracious reader, edited 4 books, and pioneer of book reading movement in Gujarat, India.
If you are constructing a new house, you would probably need the furniture for almost all areas of the house. The kitchen is considered as the heart and important part of the house. There are various numbers of options available for furniture so we rather get confused as to which option to select especially for the kitchen area. There were days in past where one would adopt traditional method of building furniture by contacting the local carpenter for making their furniture or would visit the furniture showrooms for their needs of furniture and order accordingly.
Modular kitchen has become a very popular choice among homeowners. It has prefabricated cabinets and fittings that can be easily joined together to make a beautiful looking as well as fully functional kitchen. However, even though they are becoming very popular, many people are still doubtful whether they should choose a modular kitchen or go for carpenter made. It is not easy as carpenters have always been the preferred choice, but factory-made modular designs seem to have a better finish because of ultra-modern factory processes
Therefore, it can be decided whether to go for modular kitchen or traditional way of selecting carpenter for making of furniture. Both of them have a fair share of pros and cons that will help in deciding what – modular kitchen or carpenter kitchen- suits best for the kitchen design.
Advantages: Modular kitchen v/s Carpenter Kitchen
(a) Modular Kitchen
01. Easy to install: One of the interesting features of a modular kitchen is that it can be easily installed.
02. The manufacturing of modular kitchens takes place in factories, and they come as ready-to-install. So, it offers you the easiness to practically shift the entire modular kitchen when you move or shift your house.
03. Ease of customization: Smooth modular kitchens are designed keeping in mind the needs of customer. Depending on your needs, available space and personal preferences, you can get your kitchen customized in the limits of your budget.
04. Theme and colour: You can coordinate your kitchen theme and colour or go for a design that compliments or matches with the theme of your house.
05. Storage capacity: With efficient and proper planning by professional kitchen planners, these kitchens provide more storage and better work flow with easy and smooth pace.
06. Modular kitchen cabinets come with special storage such as built-in bottle racks, plate holders, cutlery compartments, garbage holders and wire trays for vegetables.
07. The shelves provided with modular kitchen allow you to save lot of space. In some kitchens, you will notice shelves in corners or tiny spaces, while some they are designed on doors to hang it.
08. Fast delivery: Modular kitchens are made in factories and then fitted in your house. Within a month or few weeks or so, you can expect to have the kitchen installed at your home after placing the order.
09. Varieties: Modular kitchens come in a wide range of latest and elegant designs which uses straight line cuts and corners giving a minimal yet luxurious look.
10. You also get to choose from an abundant range of finishes, colors, patterns to make your modular kitchen match with your existing interior theme.
11. The storage facilities will help you organize kitchenware items which will help in cooking and working in the kitchen quite easy and efficient and also helps to DE-clutter the kitchen giving it a clean and tidy appearance.
12. Elegant and sleek design: Modular kitchens are smartly and stylishly designed, catering to Indian home habits. It ensures that items are stored that are used most commonly in comfortable locations. The remarkable feature is that the division won’t be easy to recognize, but will assist you practically and functionally.
(b) Carpenter Kitchen
01. Carpenters are easier to approach and are locally available as this is quite familiar technique and traditional way of building a kitchen.
02. These carpenters are more flexible with pricing of the kitchen built-up so they are quite budget friendly comparatively.
03. Since most of the work carpenters will do in front of you, there is scope for customization options or alterations in design as needed.
Disadvantages: Modular kitchen v/s Carpenter Kitchen
(a) Modular Kitchen
01. Modular kitchen is known for its quality which always come with a price, so it will be quite costlier than carpenter-made kitchen
02. Regular cleaning of the surfaces is required to prevent the fading and dullness of the modular furniture. Installation and repair of pre-fabricated cabinets need technical assistance for it.
03. Ensure that you get the accurate picture of your actual kitchen design by your appointed designer.
(b) Carpenter Kitchen
01. As it is usually hand-made the quality and finishing is of concern in this aspect.
02. This type of construction involves fixing of cabinets and furniture permanently which is quite tedious or impossible for further use after dismantling of it.
03. The cost keeps on fluctuating and varying in case of carpenter made kitchens
04. Modular kitchen has a technique of edge banding in which the sharp edges are avoided giving the clear and sleek look whereas in this case it is not possible to achieve this look.
05. If the carpenter is not aware of the present trend in designs of kitchen then it would be such that the old and traditional techniques to be repeated in kitchen design both in terms of functionality as well as décor
06. The scope of having 2d drawings and 3d visualization is quite not possible in this by carpenter as most of them are not skilled in terms of software usage unless a designer is appointed.
There are various advantages of modular kitchens as compared to carpenter kitchen in terms of finishes, variety and quality. If you have fluctuating cost of your budget and carpenter is well known who guarantees you to give quite good quality of work at your reasonable budget, then that would be considerable option to take into account.