Pros & Cons of Granite as Building Material
Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
Granite is a hard, igneous rock that is found in various forms throughout the earth. Its durability and variety of colors make it the perfect material for many applications including kitchens, bathrooms, fireplaces, floors and walls. It will last a lifetime if carefully handled. With all of the advantages that the material presents, there are also some disadvantages to be considered before installing the granite in your home.
Also Read: All You Need to Know about Granite
Here we give you pros & cons of granite:
- Granite is available in a wide range of colours. Some of the patterns are very attractive and have natural beauty and characteristics.
- They can resist water seepage as they are not pours material.
- Hypoallergenic, allergen and bacteria resistant and highly resistant to water or moisture making it a hygienic choice for flooring and kitchen countertop.
- It is very easy to maintain because it has highly shiny surface. Granite can remain shiny and last a lifetime with regular sweeping and mopping.
- Its hard surface can withstand high traffic area.
- If you are looking for a floor that you don’t want to replace, granite is an exceptional option as its hard surface can easily last life time.
- The colour of granite does not fade. The colour you see of granite on the first day it is installed will remain same even after 20 years down the road.
- Granite is resistant to stains as long as it is sealed.
- Its timeless elegance, outstanding hardness and resistance to abrasion make this the perfect material for outdoor and indoor use.
- It can resist very high temperatures. Due to its fire and heat resistant properties, granite is used as kitchen countertops, since they can be subjected to direct heat from kitchen utensils without altering their surface.
- Granite window sill does not require regular maintenance due to its durability. They fit perfectly into any interior harmonizing with different materials such as wood, metal and other materials.
Also Read: 5 Different Ways of Using Kitchen Island
- Granite is very expensive because it has to be obtained from quarries and polished by experts. When you are away from quarry, the transportation cost of granite will increase.
- For granite installation, required skilled worker and is very complicated and time- consuming. It is advisable not to attempt granite installation by yourself since granite is very heavy and requires extreme precision and know-how to install.
- Granite flooring can be quite cold under feet in the winter, though not as cold as Marble.
- Soft or delicate brittle items dropped on the surface probably will break because of its hardness.
- Highly polished (glossy) granite tiles can be slippery when wet and dangerous for children as well as an elder.
- Repair of badly scratched granite may turn out to be an expensive, with a possibility of alteration in the granite colour as well. Also, cracked or broken granite requires a skilled worker to repair it.
- Granite is a naturally occurring stone. Therefore one cannot guarantee good quality. It is just a matter of chance. Low-quality tiles may chip.
- Grout lines can be hard to clean. For it to last and retain its shine, granite needs regular cleaning.
- Transportation cost of granite increases due to the heavy weight of granite.
- It should be cleaned on a regular basis.
- It will not give soft feeling underfoot.
- It is very heavy when compared to other flooring materials. Hence it will increase a dead load of the structure.
- Though available in many colours and textures, the variety available is not that wide and rich when compared with vitrified tiles where you have a hundred options of colour, pattern and design.
- Its edges are sharp and blunt which may cause injuries. Hence you need to do chamfering, rounding, etc. which increases the cost of granite.
- Due to heavy weight, special precautions like using bolting, adhesives, etc. need to be taken when used as vertical cladding.
- When used with grooves on staircase trades, the grooves will collect dust which is difficult to clean.
Therefore granite gives aesthetic look to your house. However, make sure that you carefully consider all the pros & cons of granite as per your requirement before you install.