Pros and Cons of Wood Flooring
Kavisha Desai is a civil engineer by profession since 2017. She earned her B.Tech degree from SVNIT, Surat. She is a freelance content writer at GharPedia. She loves doing research and analysis on different topics. Aside from writing, she has keen interest in current affairs, reading, & music. You can reach her at LinkedIn, Twitter, & Quora.
Wood flooring is considered one of the most classic and traditional flooring. If properly maintained it could last a lifetime or even more. There are homes which are centuries old, but the wood flooring is still intact. Wood flooring has several pros and cons which a homeowner must know, before buying it. It comes in a variety of species, textures and pattern, which can suit the interior of any home.
The pros and cons of wood flooring are as follows:
- Variety of species, patterns, textures and colours are available to choose from.
- It gives a classic look to the interior and also adds up to the value of the home.
- Remains timeless and never gets out of trend.
- It is warm underfoot, so preferably used in cold regions.
- Wood flooring is renewable and environment-friendly.
- It can be easily repaired by sanding and staining, several times over its lifetime and hence can be used in high-traffic areas.
- Wood provides better grip, thus it is smooth underfoot.
- Easy maintenance as it can be cleaned using vacuum cleaner and sweeper, occasionally wood cleaner can be used.
- It is very costly, as compared to other flooring materials.
- Needs to be re-polished periodically.
- Scratches and dents can be easily formed. Also, it stains easily in case of spillage.
- It has low resistance to atmospheric changes, as it expands in summer and contracts in winter. So, expansion joints have to be provided, making installation process complex.
- Wood flooring is not suitable in wet areas, as it becomes weak when in contact with moisture.
- It is noisy, so not preferable when you walk with heels on the wood flooring.
- Prone to termite attack, thus proper care must be taken.
- Also, it catches fire easily.