How to Protect Yourself During an Earthquake?
Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
The Drop, Cover & Hold method has been used to reduce earthquake related injuries and death.
When an Earthquake Strikes,
- DROP down to floor.
- Take Cover under a sturdy piece of furniture.
- If that is not possible, Cover against an interior wall and protect your head and neck with your arms.
- Do not stand near windows, hanging objects, mirrors, or tall furniture.
- If you take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture, Hold it and be prepared to move with the piece of furniture.
- Hold the position until the ground stops shaking and it is safe to move.
Following are the 8 tips to protect yourself during an earthquake.
- If you are in a HIGH-RISE BUILDING, and you are not near a desk or table, go against an interior wall and protect your head with your arms.
- If you are standing OUTDOORS, go to a clear area, away from trees, buildings, signs, downed electrical wires and poles.
- If you are on a SIDEWALK NEAR BUILDINGS, move into a doorway to protect yourself from falling glass, brick, plaster, and other debris.
- If you are DRIVING, go to the side of the road and stop. Avoid overpasses, and other hazards. Stay inside the vehicle until the shaking is over.
- If you are in a CROWDED STORE, do not rush for exit. Stay away from display shelves containing objects that could fall.
- If you are in a WHEELCHAIR, stay in a wheelchair. if possible move to cover, lock your wheels, and protect your head with your arms.
- If you are in the KITCHEN, stay away from the refrigerator, stove, and overhead cupboards.
- If you are in a STADIUM or THEATER, stay in your seat and protect your head with your arms. Do not try to leave until the shaking is over.