Staircase is a unique component of a building that help in bridging the vertical distance between the upper and lower floors. Thus, it is inevitable to select an appropriate type of staircase while designing and constructing a house or a building. There are various types of staircases depending upon its shape, functional advantage, availability of spaces, and adaptability to construction materials. So, as per the availability of spaces, stairs can be single flight, double flight or of more than double flights.
You must be aware that, Single Flight Staircase and Double Flight Staircase are the most commonly used staircases options in a house or a building. But, both have gross differences and if you are brainstorming on choice between these two options, you have to read in detail about both of these design options? Well, you may count on the resource of Gharpedia that can help you by providing outline details about both these staircases along with some basic differences between Single Flight Staircase and Double Flight Staircase.
Single Flight Staircase vs. Double Flight Staircase
Read here some basic differences between a Single Flight Staircase and Double Flight Staircase which will help you to decide your mind on the suitability of the better option for you.
Single Flight Staircase
The staircase made up of single flight connecting two levels of a building vertically, without any interruption in direction of a flight, is termed as a Single Flight Staircase.
Double Flight Staircase
The staircase made up of two flights, connecting two levels of a building vertically, with a change and interruption in direction of a flight through a landing, is termed as a Double Flight Staircase.
02. Types of Staircases
Types of Single Flight Staircase
Different types of Single Flight Staircase are as listed below:
01. Straight Stair without Landing:
Straight Stair without landing is one of the most traditional types of staircase. Also, it doesn’t have a landing for rest. It can be constructed from wide types of construction materials like wood, metal, glass, stone, and masonry. In old houses, with limited space, this was the most preferred choice.
02. Straight Stair with Central Landing:
Straight Stair with central landing is more convenient if compared to a straight stair without Landing. It has landing for the rest in the center of flight, and divides the entire flight of staircase into two sections. It can be constructed from different construction materials like wood, metal, glass, stone, and masonry.
Types of Double Flight Staircases
Different types of Double Flight Staircase are described and pictured here as your ready reference:
01. L-Shaped Stairs:
L- Shaped Stairs are also known as Quarter Turn Stairs. These stairs change its direction of flight by 90° angle. Landing can be constructed as per user’s convenience and space availability. L-Shaped Stairs create a visual barrier between two floors which is one of the biggest advantages of this type of stairs. It can be constructed from construction materials like wood, metal, glass, stone, and masonry.
02. Winder Stairs:
Winder Stairs are similar to L-Shaped Stairs, but there are series of triangular steps instead of a plain landing. Navigation in winder stair is a bit difficult if compared to the convenience of the navigation access in L-Shaped Staircase. It can be constructed from construction materials like wood, metal, glass, stone, and masonry.
03. U-Shaped Stairs:
U-Shaped Stairs are one of the most popular types of staircases. This type of stair-pattern has two parallel flights of stairs linked by an intermediate landing, and it changes its direction of flight by 180° angle. In this type of stairs, landing is provided at the center. It can be constructed from construction materials like wood, metal, glass, stone, and masonry.
04. Open Newel Stairs:
Open Newel Stairs are one of the best options for modern apartments. This type of stair also changes its direction of flight by 180° angle, but has an open well between these two flights. The open well’s width depends upon the space availability, but approximately the space ranges required here varies between 600mm and 1200mm, which is a critical factor for constructing open newel stairs. It can be constructed from construction materials like wood, metal, glass, stone, and masonry.
These double flight staircases are actually the specimens of popular turning stairs models. For more detailed explanation regarding it, you may refer our well explanatory article named:
03. Efficiency and Convenience of Staircases
Single Flight Staircase is less efficient and convenient if compared to the efficiency and convenience level of a double flight staircase.
04. Landings of Staircases
Landing plays an important role in any stair construction. So let us see how it plays its role.
Landings in Single Flight Staircase
A Landing in Single Flight Staircase does not change the direction of flight, but it provides a space to rest while climbing, and it is essential for senior citizens as well as it is comfortable for you too especially when you are climbing up with either bulk or weight in hand.
Landings in Double Flight Staircase
A landing in Double Flight Staircase changes the direction of flight by 90° angle or 180° angle.
05. Trending Designs of Staircases
Along with the basic knowledge of this stairs, it is essential to remain aware and updated with the latest trending designs of stairs. So, let us have a quick look on some smart, contemporary, and good looking designs of stairs for your place.
Trending Designs of Single Flight Staircase
Trending Designs of Double Flight Staircase
06. Designs of Outdoor Staircases
Along with the designs of internal staircases, isn’t it a wise choice to have a glance on some designs for outdoor staircases too? So, let’s have some glimpses on few contemporary staircase designs for the outdoor purpose.
Designs of Outdoor Single Flight Staircase
07. Construction Cost of Staircases
Construction cost of a single flight staircase is lesser if compared to the construction cost of a double flight staircase, however, the cost also depends on the design and details of the staircase finalized for construction.
08. Advantages of Staircases
Advantages of Single Flight Staircase
01. The biggest advantage is, you need comparatively lesser space and area.
02. Single Flight Staircase is easy to climb and move down.
03. These stairs are considered as the best option in a minimalist themed house.
04. If the steps are few in number, landing is mostly not needed, and that saves space and money.
05. No intermediate support is required, as these stairs are built to connect the top and bottom floor.
06. Building of railings and handrail is easier comparatively.
07. Construction of a single flight staircase is easier depending on design and detail.
08. As you get desirable linear space under the staircase, you can use linear space under the staircase for storage purpose in many ways.
Advantages of a Double Flight Staircase
01. Double Flight Staircase is visually more appealing and fascinating.
02. The stairs provide privacy between the floors, as it creates a visual barrier between the connected floors.
03. Double Flight Staircase is safer option if compared to Single Flight Staircase.
04. Double Flight Staircase is easier to climb, and gives space and time to rest on the way.
05. Double Flight Staircase is more comfortable for carrying large and lengthy objects.
09. Disadvantages of Staircases
Disadvantages of Single Flight Staircase
01. Single Flight Staircase uses more linear space, which in return needs proper planning of the surrounding spaces.
02. If landing is constructed, more amount of linear space mostly gets misused.
03. No privacy is maintained between the floors.
04. Single Flight Staircase is tiresome to climb, and it may seem difficult to carry large objects while climbing.
05. Slipping down the entire flight of Single Flight Staircase is risky and can be deadly injurious.
Disadvantages of Double Flight Staircase
01. Construction of a Double Flight Staircase is difficult if compared to a Single Flight Staircase.
02. Proper planning and workmanship is required for the construction of handrail.
03. Midway structural support is required for the landing construction.
Considering the space budget available as well as the level of comfort needed by the users, you can now choose from the options between a single and double flight staircase. Also, you may enjoy a quick glimpse of various staircase designs that you may opt under each type from the suggestions listed here. We hope that this article will broaden your horizon in selecting the type of staircase that suits the best for your house and offers the best level of utility altogether.
Image Courtesy: Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 5, Image 6, Image 7, Image 8, Image 9, Image 10, Image 11, Image 12, Image 13, Image 14, Image 15, Image 16, Image 17, Image 18, Image 19, Image 20, Image 21, Image 22, Image 23, Image 24, Image 25, Image 26, Image 27, Image 28, Image 29, Image 30, Image 31, Image 32, Image 33, Image 34, Image 35, Image 36, Image 37, Image 38, Image 39, Image 40, Image 41