Blushing & Blooming in Paint: Precautions & Repairs
Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
Any house decoration is always incomplete without painting. Painting makes your house more vibrant and live. However, due to the lack of proper care during paint, there are various problems or defect may occur. There are several paint defects like brush marks, bleeding, patchiness, cracking, blushing and blooming, etc. which may appear on the painted surface. These paint defects arise because of the poor workmanship or using bad quality paint. In order to prevent these defects, you need to take certain precautions and find out the solutions to repair it, if at all it has occurred.
Blushing and Blooming Paint
Blushing and blooming of paint is the most common paint defect that occurs on the painted surface. It occurs on both the exterior as well as interior surface after the paint application. So, before blushing and blooming paint defect ruin the aesthetics of your house, find the solution to repair it as soon as possible.
Let’s first understand the basics of paint blooming and blushing. Blushing and blooming is usually defined as the appearance of a whitish substance on a surface of varnish or enamel. Paint blooming is different from blushing, to some extent.Paint blushing is a defect in the paint film. It occurs during the curing process due to condensation of moisture occurring on a coated surface and is visible as water spot. Whereas in paint blooming,topcoat of a painted surface dries out and develops haziness. We have already written a detailed article on other causes of blushing or blooming paint defect.
Here in this article, we have provided the precautions to prevent this defect and have suggested repairs of blushing and blooming paint defect.
Precautions to Prevent Blushing and Blooming Paint
Precautions to Prevent Blushing and Blooming on the Painted Surface:
- Don’t paint when the paint remains in a state of cure and is exposed to cold damp conditions. Follow the instructions given by paint manufacturers.
- Be aware of weather conditions that may occur later in the day or during the early evening.
- Use the correct paint application to avoid blushing and blooming paint.
- Always apply the paint under the controlled environment conditions.
Repair Blushing and Blooming Paint
Following are the tips to fix or repair blushing and blooming paint defect:
- The paint blooming and blushing can be easily removed with warm soapy water.
- To repair blushing and blooming paint, sand the defective surface and re coat the top coat of paint which has been affected by moisture.
- Remove paint blooming with clean cloth or suitable solvent If necessary, apply undercoat or topcoat by following manufacturer’s instructions.
- If the paint has not cured, apply heat to the surface in order to repair blushing and blooming paint
- If you have seen blushing after a first coat, you can add some thinner. Using a slower drying paint thinner will allow the water molecules to evaporate before the film locks the water in.
Therefore, carefully apply the paint after reading the manufacturer’s instructions. Understanding the causes of blushing and blooming paint defect will fully prepare you enough for starting the painting process and will make the paint job easier for you.