The walls, furniture, etc. of your home colour your world. They are what set the mood in your everyday life. Therefore the way you apply your paint, can be just as important as the colour itself. However, the deterioration of the paint earlier to its rated life is considered as a failure of the paint.
Several defects like flaking, sagging, patchiness, etc. are observed in painting, either during painting or sometimes after the painting. These defects arise due to either chemical attacks, effects of atmosphere, sunlight, heat, humidity and dust or individually or jointly deteriorating it. Among them, brush mark is one of the most common defects observed after the paint application.
Courtesy - Shutterstock
Brush marks are caused due to poor application of the final coat of paint or due to poor quality brush. Basically, it occurs due to poor workmanship. We have already discussed causes of brush marks in our recent article.
Precautions to Prevent Brush Marks Defects on Painted Surface:
- Carefully prepare the surface, make sure the poor paint is rubbed down.
- Always use good quality brushes and apply an adequate thickness of paint.
- Skilled paint workers are required.
- Always dust off the surface with dampened cloth before the paint application.
- Skin often forms on old paint in cans. If you spot it, carefully lift it before stirring.
Tips for Fixing or Repairing Brush Marks:
- Seal surface porosity with putty and primer coats.
- Use thinner before paint application as recommended by the manufacturer.
- When painting, paint evenly and lightly in the same direction, wait until the first coat is thoroughly dried before applying the second coat.
- Depending on the extent of brush marks, thoroughly abrade the surface and recoat with the suitable viscosity of paint.
- Allow the paint to harden for several days; even though it may seem dry after a few hours as only the surface will have dried. Rub down the affected areas with fine wet and dry sandpaper, wash with clean water, dry thoroughly and apply a new top coat.
Therefore always follow good painting techniques so that this type of defect does not destroy the aesthetic look of the house. Understanding fully the causes of brush marks will prepare you enough for painting process and will make the job easier for you.