Why Should You Follow Building By-Laws/Development Controls Regulation?
Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
While starting the construction of any building, big or small, has always been associated with the big set of questions. Among the questions which cross one’s mind the most important question is, How to design and what things one should keep in mind while designing? Different people have different requirements for design. The design use by one may affect other people living in the vicinity. If it adversely effects, then there would be the conditions that will result from this with frequent fights and brawls with neighbours and locality members. Therefore there should be some standards on which building designs can be based!
Keeping this need of standardisation in mind there was a need to formulate certain rules & regulations that one should follow while constructing any building! Therefore some rules and regulations were formed by the government to regulate the construction of the buildings known as building by-laws or building regulations.
Building By-Laws may Contain Regulations Related to:
- FSI/ FAR & Ground Coverage
- Setbacks & Projections
- Basements & Parking Spaces
- Well & well type structures
- Area & area usages
- Atrium & ornamental structures
- Building height & other Service Spaces
- Site Design & service design (sewerage ,water & electrical design)
& much more…
Building by-laws are statutory or local rules/standards for the particular city, which are applied to the new building, and also for the extensions and certain changes in existing buildings.
Also Read : What Does ‘FSI ‘in Building Construction Mean?
Courtesy - 123rf
If certain rules and regulations are not framed, a house owner may construct a residential building as per his whims and fancies. Hence it is necessary to maintain and implement the by-laws to provide proper ventilation, privacy, security, and safety between the neighbours.
Following are the Reasons to Follow the By-Laws:
01. Due to these by-laws, each building will have proper approaches, margins, setbacks, light, air and ventilation which are essential for proper living.
02. Allow discipline and systematic growth of buildings and towns and prevents haphazard development.
03. Protect safety of public against fire, noise, health hazards and structural failures.
04. Provide proper utilization of space so that maximum efficiency in planning can be derived from these by-laws.
05. Give guidelines to the architect or an engineer in effective planning and useful in preplanning the building activities.
06. Provide safety and comfort to the people who live in the buildings.
07. At the urban level, it will regulate population density and essential civic infrastructure and service roads, parking and traffic conditions and by-laws of public streets and roads.