Painting is basically meant for providing both decoration and protection to surfaces. A fresh painting job on the outside makes your home look pleasant and inviting. The paint job indicates that the work of a home is completed. It gives a sense of completion; freshness and newness. Selection of paint and quality of painting work are therefore very important tasks. Appearance of home depends on the paint and quality of painting work done. Hence it is important to check the quality of painting work to achieve not only value for money but also to enhance beauty and life of entire house.
Courtesy - Shutterstock
01. First of all check the colour of paint. See that it is the same shade or tint you wanted. See that the colour scheme has been strictly followed.
02. Paint on wall should not drip. If signs of drips or dried drops are visible than inform the painter to sand it down and retouch it.
03. Check the edging lines and make sure these lines are straight and sharp.
04. Coverage of paint should be even, especially at corners of windows and doors.
05. Check whether every painted surface has been repaired of nail holes, cracks, peeling paint and other defects.
06. Check the paint at corners portion of the door sidewall and also check the window corners.
07. The lines where ceiling and trim meet the walls should be clean and straight. You don’t want waves or wall colour creeping up on the ceiling.
08. Check the paint near switch plates and outlet covers.
09. Check whether all Caulking was done. Make sure that there is no leakage behind the trims because that may damage the wall surface.
10. See that the separation of colours is sharply done. The lines between ceiling and trims, or the ceiling and walls should be clean, straight and sharp.
11. Check if the original colours are covered properly with the new colour coat.
12. The brush marks and any other spots or patches should not be visible. If brush marks or spots are still visible than apply another coat of paint to hide those spots or patches.
13. Check that all paint is applied evenly and is free from runs and sags.
14. If wallpaper is being hung, be sure that the pattern is leveled, match properly and is hung in the right direction and its seams are smooth. Remember you don’t want the look of a fun house.
15. See that the painted wall surface is smooth. Run your hand along the walls to check for imperfections.
16. Inspect the door and window frames and interior wardrobe walls because these are the places, which are often forgotten by painter. Similarly see that no surfaces left unpainted like all four sides of window grills etc.
17. See that all stains of paint from floor, window glasses, grills, switch plates etc have been carefully removed.
18. While you check the final surface, do not forget to monitor the work during its progress, as the entire quality of paint and its life will depend on the process.
Check the quality of painting work carefully both in daylight as well as in artificial light.