Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
When choosing tiles for your home, people always look for the aesthetic view of the house. If you do not installed it properly, there may be chances of various defects may come in tiles like fading of tiles, buckling of tiles, cracks in tiles, etc. Many of homeowners are always concerned about cracks in the tile floor. If someone is planning to have new tile floors installed, there are many precautions one has to take to prevent cracking in the future. Take good care of your tile and you will have little or no cracks.
Also Read: Why Tiles Get Cracked?
Following are the precautions to be taken to prevent the tiles from crack:
- Being careful when carrying heavy objects and to avoid dropping them on the floor tile.
- Never use your tile as a backing for something to be struck. Use your hammer on your work place, not your floor tile.
- Don’t purchase the sub-standard tiles so that there are no chances of cracking of tiles in future on account of poor quality.
- When tiles crack badly and you have no option but to replace it with new tiles, you may not find similar tiles in market. Hence always keep few tiles for such cases.
- Use proper cutting equipment. So that it may prevent tiles to get cracked.
- If the cracks occur in only a small number of tiles, and/or the location of the floor is where an aesthetic view of tile don’t matter, the easiest and most economical solution is patch up the crack on your own.
Here we give few solutions to repair the cracked tiles:
- For small crack in tiles, the easiest method is to apply appropriate paint over the cracked surface. You will need paint that closely matches the colour of your tiles.
- If the crack in your tile is too large, the only solution is to replace it with new tiles. Before you try this, make sure you need a replacement of this tile that has the same size, shape, color and material as existing one.
- Allow movement joints in tiles so that tiles do not crack.
- Apply glaze on the cracked surface. This method does not fix the broken tile’s appearance, but it will fill the crack and prevent it from further damage.
- Use the siliconized sealer to fill in tile floor cracks. If the sealer looks ugly after drying, you can paint it so that it mixed with the tile design.
- For a concrete subfloor, gets the most effective thing is to add steel reinforcing bars to the concrete slab. This will prevent cracks in the concrete from forming which ultimately lead to cracks in the tiles.