Concrete consists of different materials, which have different functions .The properties of concrete depends on the particular mixture of constituents. The basic constituents used to make concrete are cement, lime, water and aggregate.
Courtesy - 123rf
01. Do hire an experienced contractor for successful concreting operation.
02. Also see that the main/general contractor hire good skilled sub/labour contractor for concreting.
03. See that concreting is done under skilled supervision. Never leave it to labour on site.
04. Always wear suitable PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) before casting concrete.
05. Start placement of concrete with adequate manpower, proper equipments and tools.
06. Always choose right cement for the particular job. If you have confusion, ask the technical person.
07. Always pour the concrete when the weather conditions are favourable.
08. Suitable mix design should be used for particular specifications (i.e. M25, M30 etc.).
09. Choose right concrete mix as per specifications.
10. First mix the dry concrete uniformly i.e. cement, coarse aggregates, fine aggregates (either manually or in transit mixture) as per predetermined quantity (i.e. batching of concrete materials).
11. Add water as per predetermined quantity. Always measure the water with measuring container before adding in concrete.
12. Mix the wet concrete thoroughly for around 2 minutes to get the consistent concrete.
13. Do slump test before placing the concrete.
14. Concrete must be placed within 15 to 20 minutes of pouring water. If delayed add fresh cement or concern the consultant.
15. Do proper Compaction the concrete with a vibrator or wooden tamp to remove air from the concrete. If compaction is not well, it creates voids/honeycomb in concrete resulting in leakages from the concrete structure, thereby causing corrosion and also reducing the strength. This also affects the life of the structure.
16. Pour the concrete throughout in an even thickness.
17. Always keep on checking the stability of props/ supports of formwork.
18. See that the covers insert doesn’t get displaced.
19. Finish the surface and edges of concrete after placing of concrete using with trowels or wooden floats or metal floats. Ensure that the concrete is finished in the same direction when trowelling.
20. Do proper finishing at joints.
21. Give attention towards the bleeding in concrete. Water should not evaporate rapidly.
22. Calculate the number of cement bags concreted per hour. If more than 25 to 30 bags are used per hour , then mixing time allowed is less and it should not be permitted (For 1 bag mixture machine).
23. See that no one walks on the concrete surface till the concrete gets hardened.
24. Do proper curing when the concrete has hardened initially. If you want to know about curing methods
01.Don’t use damaged formwork. It affects the concrete resulting in the honeycomb.
02.Don’t use unwashed aggregates in concrete; it may results in a weak concrete and substantial cost of maintenance.
03.Don’t start concreting beforecasting of a concrete cube. The Strength of the concrete should be as per predetermined mix design.
04.Don’t go for volumetric batching.
05.Don’t use high concrete slump, excessively high air content, or excess fines.
06.Don’t run concrete mixer more than two minutes resulting in segregation of concrete constituents.
07.Don’t add more water for ease of placement during the making of concrete.
08.Don’t use semi-dry concrete in pouring. There will be chances of honeycomb inside the concrete.
09.Don’t drop concrete form greater height as this will cause segregation.
10.Don’t allow heaping of concrete at one place during pouring.
11.Don’t vibrate the concrete after the initial setting has taken place.
12.Don’t finish the concrete whilebleeding ispresent on the surface of the concrete.
13.Unless must and unavoidable, never do concreting at night. The lighting arrangements are never adequate at all work places and hence some errors can always happen somewhere.
14.Don’t remove formwork until the concrete has gained sufficient strength.
15.When finishing of the concrete is carried out, never throw or sprinkle the water on to the concrete surface.
16.Don’t try to finish the dried concrete.
17.Don’t do concreting if it is raining heavily
18.Never allow child labour on site. You will land in violence of law and may land in jail.