Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
Emulsion Paint is basically water based paint. It can be principally used for both internal as well as the external surfaces of the building.
In Emulsion paint, water is used as a solvent. Water is a medium in which the binder, pigment and additives are dispersed in molecular form. Polymers are a binder, forming a continuous film on the surface. Binder used in emulsion paint is alkyd resins, acrylic resins, epoxies, etc.
Courtesy - Shuttersock
- Emulsion paints are easy to apply and they dry quicker than other water based paint and oil based paint. It can be applied by both brushes as well as a roller. If you are planning to paint your house on your own than follow the “DIY” instructions on the manufacturer’s brochures.
- Emulsion paints are not ready to use. You have to add thinner (water) before the application. If you don’t add thinner in the paint, there are chances of appearance of various defects on finished paint walls.
- Emulsion Paints are applied to new as well as the old plastered surface. It is also applied on metal, wooden furniture, glass, and concrete.
Courtesy - Shuttersock
Properties of Emulsion Paint:
Emulsion paints are less toxic as compared to other oil based paints and almost all manufacturer companies claim that it possesses “zero volatile organic compounds”. Washability of Emulsion paints is of medium to high level. Washability mainly depends upon the surface sheen. Some sheen is wipeable & some are washable depending upon the manufacturer’s guide. Emulsion Paints are available in 1 ltr, 4 ltr, 10 ltr, 20 ltr packs. Emulsion paint is available in the market with several different finishes such as matt, smooth, egg shell, semi glossy and glossy. Two coat of emulsion paints can cover up to 100 -160 sqft/lit of the area.i.e for painting 100 sqft of the area you may need 0.6 to 1.0 litre of paint for two coats.
Also Read: All You Need to Know About Distemper Paint
Emulsion paint has many benefits over other usual paint:
- The surface of emulsion paint is hard and can be easily cleaned by washing with water. Exposure to water will not affect the colour or quality of emulsion paint.
- Different application techniques can be used such as brushing, spraying, dip, flow, and roller.
- The emulsion paint is less odorous and non-inflammable hence it is safe for our health
- Emulsion paints are ideal for ceilings and walls because it is thick and easy to apply. They are humidity – resistant and hence can be easily used in steamy rooms like kitchens and bathrooms.
- Emulsion paints use water as the medium which carries the colour pigment to the surface that is being painted. By the time the paint dries, the water evaporates completely. These paints have very little risks for humans and animals around because the only thing that evaporates and enters the air is hydrogen and oxygen.
- Emulsion paints don’t dry, crack or fade in the sunlight.
- Emulsion paints are less likely to attract the growth of mildew on it.
- Emulsion paints hold well to almost any surface. It can also use without any pre-treatment.
Different paints have different properties and are formulated for different purposes. Hence they need to have different properties as interior as exterior paint. To understand the difference between interior paints and exterior paints, one needs to understand paint chemistry.
Interior paints are so made that they can be scrubbed and can resist staining. Interior paints are formulated to be more resistant to physical damage. The resins used for interior paints can be firmer because the paint does not have to deal with weather and temperature differences.
Exterior paints are so made to combat against mildew and fading. The resins used for exterior paint can be softer so that it can survive temperature changes and less effected due to exposure to moisture. Exterior paint must be tougher and resist peeling, chipping and fading due to sunlight. Exterior paints are also supposed to resist water hence they are made waterproof and hence need to be flexible.
Most of the manufacturers make 2 to 3 categories of both interior and exterior paints under different “trade name” or “brand name”. This is basically the function of price. Though all brands are technically same and recommended for interior areas, then why are there 2 or 3 different brands with different prices. In our opinion, there is minor variation in material chemistry, which alters its prices. Than how does it affect its quality. In our opinion one with low grade or lower price will have less life (i.e you will have to repaint early), may take time in drying, and are not easily washable as compared to higher grade.
There are various products available for interior as well as the exterior surface in different ranges and under different brands. Some of the typical products of few companies are listed below.
|01.||Asian Paints||Tractor Emulsion||Interior||Low|
|Apcolite Advanced Heavy Duty Emulsion||Interior||Medium|
|Professional Premium Interior Emulsion||Interior||Medium|
|Professional One Coat Premium Emulsion||Interior||Medium|
|Royale Luxury Emulsion Paints||Interior||High|
|Professional Premium Exterior Emulsion||Exterior||High|
|Professional Premium Exterior Emulsion Matt||Exterior||High|
|Tractor Emulsion Advanced||Exterior||High|
|Professional Endurance Emulsion||Exterior||Medium|
|Ace Exterior Emulsion||Exterior||Low|
|Apex Weatherproof Emulsion||Exterior||Medium|
|Apex Ultima Protek||Exterior||High|
|02.||Dulux Paints||Super Clean Emulsion Paints||Interior||High|
|Dulux Velvet Touch – Diamond Glo||Interior||High|
|Dulux Promise Interior||Interior||Medium|
|Dulux Velvet Touch – Pearl Glo||Interior||High|
|Dulux Promise Acrylic Exterior Emulsion||Exterior||Low|
|Dulux Weather Shied Max||Exterior||High|
|Premium Exterior Emulsion with Silicon Technology||Exterior||Medium|
|03.||Berger Paints||Silk Luxury Emulsion Paint||Interior||High|
|Easy Clean Luxury Emulsion Walls||Interior||High|
|Rangoli Premium Acrylic Emulsion||Interior||Medium|
|Bison Acyrlic Emulsion||Interior||Low|
|Weather Coat All Guard||Exterior||High|
|Weather Coat Smooth||Exterior||Medium|
|04.||Nerolac Paints||Impressions Eco Clean Interior Walls||Interior||High|
|Impressions 24 Carat Premium Emulsion||Interior||Medium|
|Impression Metallic Wall Finish||Interior||High|
|Excel Rain Guard||Exterior||High|
|Excel Anti Peel||Exterior||Medium|
|05.||Shalimar Paints||Super Stay Clean||Interior||High|
|Superlac Acrylic Emulsion||Interior||Medium|
|Xtra Premium 100% Acrylic Exterior Emulsion||Exterior||Low|
Also Read: Paint Sheens: Make a Big Impact on Your Home
Emulsion paint is also very useful over the porous and wet surfaces. It is quick drying and easier to apply than other paint. The emulsion paint is less odorous and non-inflammable hence it is safe for human health.