Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
The tiles are very popular material for floors as well as for wall because it has more durability and aesthetic look both. However with wear and tear and due to the lack of proper care and maintenance during its laying, different kind of defects will arise in tiles like cracking, fading, shade variation, rust stains, tenting, etc. These defects occur because installation techniques or materials are unsuitable for tile surface or defective. These defects arise in tiles due to many reasons like the uneven floor, absorption of dust, uneven grout joints, absence of movement joints, poor adhesion, etc. These defects not only give bad looks to your home but render flooring useless certain times. Hence you need to repair or replace the tiles frequently.
Here we give various types of defects that may arise in tiles floor or dado and how to repair these defective tile works:
01. Buckling or Tenting or Popping-up of Tiles:
01. Tile is a porous substance; therefore, after sometimes because of absorption of water, it can swell. Due to expansion, the pressure will cause the tile to pop-up and the tiles may get buckled or tent up.
02. This problem occurs due to not using the correct adhesives over the concrete slab that is still under curing.
03. This problem also occurs due to temperature changes and lack of movement joints.
Must Read: Why Tiles Get Buckled or Popped-up or Tent?
01. To prevent the tiles from buckling or tenting, install the tiles with a suitable bonding material.
02. You can repair the tiles by reinstalling the tiles if you can inject the areas on the spot with adhesive.
Must Read: How to Repair Buckled or Popped-up Tiles?
02. Chipped Tiles:
Courtesy – Pixabay
01. If any hard object drops on the glazed tile, there is a chance of chipping of the tile.
02. Also, if we drag any heavy furniture over the tiles, it may result in surface chipping of tiles.
01. Fill the chipped portion by epoxy or adhesives. Then paint over the filler to match the colour of the tiles.
02. To rectify with the tiles from this defect, one simple solution is to fill the chipped section with the nail paint same as the colour of tiles.
03. Cracking of Tiles:
Courtesy – Shutterstock
01. If the tile has not achieved full coverage of adhesives under the tile over the entire surface, there will be a void under some portion of the tiles. When pressure is applied to that tile, it will crack from the corner or from the edges.
02. Also, when heavy objects such as pots, cans, etc. drop on the tiles, the tiles breaks and crack.
Must Read: Why Tiles Get Cracked?
01. For small cracks, apply paint that closely matches the colour of the tiles.
02. To prevent it from cracking, be careful while carrying heavy objects and avoid dropping them on the floor tiles.
03. For large cracks, you have to replace the tiles with new tiles of a similar type of design if available or you have to work out some new design pattern with new and old tiles.
Must Read: How to Repair Cracked Tiles?
04. Fading of Tiles:
Courtesy – Pixabay
01. This problem occurs due to the use of unnecessary acidic cleaners, especially in shower areas. This usually starts when a film of grout left on the tile at the time of installation. This film grabs dirt and soap and builds up over time.
02. Also, the tiles may fade due to direct sunlight falling on the tile surface.
Must Read: Why do Tiles Fade Over the Period of Time?
01. Use good detergent or any household cleaning product to prevent the tiles from fading.
02. Provide curtains on the window. This will protect the tiles from discoloration due to ultraviolet radiation of the sun.
Must Read: Precautions to Avoid Fading of Tiles
05. Shade Variation in Tiles:
Courtesy – Pixabay
01. Water absorption is the primary cause for the shade variation of tiles. If the tiles are wet or put in water, it will absorb moisture to some degree, depending on the type of tiles. And then, just like wet chalk or a sponge, the tiles body will look darker.
02. Variation in firing during manufacturing, glaze thickness, printing and input materials also causes the shade variation of tiles. Hence, it is a manufacturing defect.
01. Assign tiles with different shade into the different rooms or areas, according to size and quantity.
02. Take care while printing the tiles so that it remains same throughout its body during the manufacturing process.
03. One can’t repair manufacturing defect and such tiles should be rejected and should not use.
06. Rust Stains on Tiles:
01. Rust stain can occur when metal items come into contact with water and tiles. Gas cylinder creates thick rust formation on the tiles.
02. Metal chairs and outdoor heaters are also common causes of rust. Once it has taken a grip on the surface, it can be difficult to remove rust stains.
Must Read: Causes of Rust Stains on Tiles
Courtesy – Shutterstock
01. Crazing is a network of lines or cracks in the fired glaze surface. Crazing is the most common problem formed in the glazed surface. It is basically manufacturing defect.
01. Apply properly glaze effect on the tile surface so that the craze will not form.
02. Manufacturing defects are difficult to solve and hence be cautious while buying.
08. Warped Tile:
01. The term warped means to make or become bent or twisted out of shape due to the effect of heat. Any warping in ceramic tile happens in the factory during manufacture. Hence, it is basically a manufacturing defect.
01. Take care during the manufacturing of the tile. Replace the tiles with new tiles.
02. Avoid using such tiles.
09. Size Variation:
01. Glazed ceramic tiles or vitrified tiles will always have a small variation in size during the manufacturing process.
02. Tiles shrink during manufacture and that shrinkage will vary from tile to tile.
01. Take care during manufacturing of the tiles.
02. Assort and arrange the tiles of the same size in a particular area or room so as to minimize this defect.