Civil Engineer / Content Writer
Apart from that they add beauty to the home. Doors have different styles and functions depending upon the place where we have to place them. When it comes to choosing the perfect type of door, one thing is that not all doors are created equally. There are several types of doors are available in the market i.e. glazed door, panelled door, flush door, etc. and layman gets confused who are not aware about various types of doors.
Also Read: Function of Door in the House
Nowadays, panelled doors and flush doors are the popular choices for inside and outside access to an entrance of the house or rooms. One of the biggest differences between panelled and flush doors is in their construction method as well as their appearance. Also, they are different in their properties, designs, availability, cost, etc.
Here we give you a brief comparison of Flush Doors vs Panelled Doors which will help you to choose the right door:
Courtesy - 123rf
- A Flush Door is a flat door having a smooth surface on both sides and is not divided into any panels. It is composed of a wooden framework which is covered by plywood, veneer, laminate, MDF or natural wood on both sides.
- Solid core flush door, hollow core flush door, cellular core flush door are different types of flush door.
- The flush doors are factory made.
- Panelled Doors are constructed with panels, usually shaped to a pattern, installed between the stiles and rails that form the outside frame of the door.
- It is made of wood, steel, PVC, aluminium and fiberglass panels etc. But wood is most popular.
- The panelled doors come in single and double panels, 3 panels, 4 panels, 6 panels, etc.
- The panelled door is manufactured on site and its manufacturing is cumbersome.
- They have limited designs. However, with varieties of veneer and laminate now available, they also can be made attractive and look like natural wood. The flush doors are not much aesthetically appealing than panelled doors as it has a plain surface on both sides. However, it is personal choice.
- Panelled doors are aesthetically more appealing than flush doors. However, it will depend on the quality of design.
- The flush door is simple in design and hence less expensive and easy to produce.
- It is easy to clean.
- The flush door requires less effort and accessories to install.
- Hollow core flush doors are light in weight so they can be easily handled and equipped.
- It can’t split, peel, and hence don’t require regular refinishing.
- Panelled door is hard and strong, and it is generally used as exterior doors. They provide more security and privacy to your home.
- It can be made to any design as per architect’s design.
- Glass panel doors add light, charm and beauty to any doorway in your house.
- It provides privacy in homes as they have better soundproof material.
- Panelled doors can be cut and adjusted to any size and minor changes can be easily done at site.
- It is eco-friendly as they release no gases as in the case of the flush doors as they made from artificial wood.
- Panellled doors hold lock, fixtures, screws, etc. better than flush door as its holding strength is more.
- They are difficult to repair. The top veneer or laminate or plywood starts delaminating on account of effects of temperature, moisture, etc.
- The flush doors are factory made and hence correct size of the door must be given, as subsequent alterations are very difficult.
- Solid core flush doors are heavy in weight. Therefore it is difficult to handle and transport to your home.
- Flush doors with laminates in particular, are not possible to paint hence appearance can’t be changed.
- The capacity to hold screws, locks, fixtures, etc. is not as good as panelled doors.
- Solid panelled door is very costly compared to flush door as it is made with lot of wood.
- Panelled door needs more daily cleaning because dust retains more on the door as compared to flush door because of no of joints and panels.
- Joints in wood need very good workmanship and skill otherwise its strength will get reduced.
- It requires polishing and painting from time to time.
- It is less durable as compared to panelled door. Its life is less from 10 to 25 years depending on quality and type of door.
- It is more durable as compared to flush door. If maintained properly and original quality is good, then it last long for years.
- The strength of flush door is less as compared to panelled door if it is made up of poor quality artificial wood.
- Panelled doors have high strength compared to flush doors as they are made from natural wood.
07. Moisture Resistant
- Flush doors are less resistant to moisture as top veneer, laminate or plywood starts delaminating due to the effects of moisture.
- Panelled Doors are more resistant to moisture compared to flush door.
08. Stain Resistant
- Flush doors have high resistant to stain as it has plain face on both sides.
- Panelled doors are less resistant to stain as grooves in which dust will gather.
09. Termite Resistant
- Flush doors have high resistance against termite.
- Panelled doors have less resistant to termite as they are made up of natural wood.
- The installation of the flush door is easy as compared to panelled door.
- The installation of the panelled door is difficult as compared to flush door as they are heavy in weight and requires a skilled person.
- Flush doors have plain shutters so they are easy to maintain.
- Panelled doors take more time for cleaning and maintaining as it has grooves in which dust will gather.
- Width:7m to 1.1m
- Height: 0m to 2.1m
- Thickness: 25mm, 30 mm and 40mm
- Width:7m to 1.2m
- Height: 0m to 2.1m
- Thickness: 30 mm, 35mm, 40 mm, 45mm and 50 mm
- Flush doors are less expensive than panelled doors.
- Panelled doors are more expensive than flush doors.
In the end, it is up to you to choose the types of doors according to requirement and budget. Nowadays people use flush door rather than panelled door as they are easy to clean and less expensive. From the above information of flush doors vs panelled doors, the people have to a make right and judicial decision according to your needs and budget.