Plumbing Consultant is an experienced individual or team of professionals who provide expert advice on the design and installation of the plumbing system in a building for the use and distribution of drinking water and removal of sewage in residential and commercial facilities. They also provide their experties for the plumbing repairs as they have the vast knowledge of working of the system.
Plumbing consultants basically provide scientific design of water supply, sewerage, storm water and firefighting system. They also design all the systems in such a way that they serve for the maximum life. They design the plumbing system which is easy to maintain and is also cost-effective. They design the plumbing system in such a manner that they are easily repairable and accessible.
Role of Plumbing Consultant:
Courtesy - Pixabay
Following is the role of the plumbing consultant who should be associated with the project from the planning stage itself i.e. from the day one when you start layout of your house, or design of the house.
- They introduce new concepts and systems as per the latest development in plumbing field at national and international levels. The plumbing consultant should preferably be a member of the association of consulting engineers of the particular country.
They design the all internal and external water supply network, drainage system and firefighting system as per the codal provision and clients requirements.
Also, they design the all plumbing services with minimum operating and maintenance costs.
- They finalise levels of the proposed drain roads and plinth of building to provide proper slopes for drainage and decide the plinth level, finished ground level, etc. in view of existing invert level of sewer/storm/manhole and maintaining road formation levels.
- They provide the design, detailed drawings considering local authority rules and regulations regarding water supply system, internal piping, details of all plumbing and sanitary fittings, general drainage disposal layout, stormwater drainage details, boosting system details etc. They also certify the executed work.
- They specify and advice about the quality and specifications of material to be used.
- They decide the diameter of pipes and velocity depending upon flow, pressure needed at each point. They decide the capacity of storage tanks, pumps, geyser, bore well, septic tank and sock pit, fire pump details etc.
- They propose and obtain sanctions from the municipal authorities for the plumbing and sanitation system either themselves or through plumbing contractor.
- They also approve the plumbing materials and fixtures on site.
- They coordinate the different stages of the plumbing work for the ongoing construction project.
- They also advise in the selection of the plumbing contractor.
- They do regular site visit during the execution of the work until the completion of the work.
- They maintain quality control of works during execution.
- They propose solution for modifications alternation additional/deletion in work periodically as per site conditions.
- They issue certificates for the quality of workmanship after trial run, testing and checking of all types of lines at the required pressure, at every stage and also certify levels, plans and lines to be free of leakage.
- They collect N.O.C. From the concerned authorities through plumbing contractor for the completed work and carry out commissioning to have to trouble free system.
05. List of the Drawings Provided by the Plumbing Consultant:
Following are the list of drawings generally prepared by the plumbing consultant.
- Water supply lines – Network, type, diameter route, house connection from main line/source like bore well etc.
- H.W.T. (Over Head Water Tank) – Capacity, type, location.
- Terrace level distribution
- G.W.T (Under Ground Water Tank) – Capacity location, types
- Stormwater collection network – size, slope, materials, etc.
- Drainage drawing – route, slope, house connection to main line.
- Septic tank and sock pit – size and construction depth
- Internal plumbing works details – details of traps, joints, sequence of work to avoid leakage problem, folded elevation of all units with plumbing and sanitary fixtures details.
- Any specific details required
- Pump details – Head, discharge in litre/sec
- Pump room arrangement details
- Any other structure required to carry plumbing system.
- Swimming pool ( If provided), details regarding plumbing requirement/Filtration plant plumbing details
- Sewage treatment plants if required – size, technology, specification.
- Rain water harvesting detail
- Fire fighting systems – Fire fighting network, UG and terrace tank detail, all misc. fire fighting details.
06. All Plumbing Drawing should have the Following Details:
- Layout drawing with the level of road and plinth of the building indicating the invert level (IL), HFL of mains.
- Details of total drainage disposal system on the layout.
- The position of septic tanks, U.G.W.T (Under Ground Water Tanks), open wells, tube wells etc. and their connection details as applicable.
- Storm water flow pattern on the layout and rain water harvesting well location.
- Boosting system details for the various building, location, size if needed.
- General plumbing arrangements.
(a) General Drawing:
Schematic drawings of water supply network, Drainage Network, Fire fighting systems, Rain water harvesting systems.
Individual Bath / W.C/Toilet/Kitchen layout details
- Section/folded elevation
- Heights of various C.P. fitting from F.F.L
- Specification of all material to be used
- Route of pipes, diameter, etc.
(b) Terrace Level Details:
- Slope provision of the terrace for drainage of rainwater.
- Location of rainwater outlets.
- Location and capacity of the overhead water tank.
- Detailed drawing of outlet and distribution network of G.I. pipes on the terrace.
- Fire tank details in case of high-rise building.
(c) Overhead Water Tank Details:
- Size and capacity of the water tank.
- Inlet, outlet, washout position and details.
- Outlet down-take pipe details diameter, type, etc.
- Floor-wise and flat-wise distribution details with location.
- Jockey Pump or boosting pump arrangements if required.
(d) Underground Water Tank Details:
- Capacity, location and type.
- Construction details regarding plumbing fittings.
- Inlet, outlet and storage capacity details.
- Necessary fittings details.
- Cleaning details.
- Plumbing details.
(e) Drainage Disposal Details:
- Detailed drawing of septic tank internal works.
- Inlet and outlet details.
- Necessary filter media details.
- Details of IL, manhole and traps.
(f) Storm Water Drainage Works Drawing:
- Necessary slopes of the road drain layout with IL, and manhole for disposal
- Outlet details of rainwater pipe
- Sectional details of stormwater drains
- Terrace rainwater harvesting details.
(g) Fire Fighting Details:
- Schematic drawing of fire fighting system.
- Capacity, location and type of fire water storage tank
- Fire pumping system details.
- Fire hydrant pipe, fitting and distribution system details.
- Sprinkler details.
- Typical detail of hose reel, extinguisher, fire alarm etc.
In conclusion, plumbing consultant provides all the solution regarding the source, storage, distribution of water and waste disposal of sewage in a scientific manner. They have years of experience and extensive knowledge of the plumbing work and they can take care of new work as well as repair and maintenances of existing work. They provide high quality solutions in time and on budget. They are aware of the importance of the completion deadlines and are committed to complete the work on time.