Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
It is very important to check the quality of cement on site before it is used. It is not possible to check all the engineering qualities of cement on site. But some physical field test carried out on site to know rough idea of quality of cement.
Courtesy - 123rf
- Date of manufacture should be checked on the cement bag. It is important because the Strength of cement with age.
- Open the bag and take a good look at the cement.
- There should not be any visible lumps or dust in the cement if you throw a small quantity of cement in a bucket of water, the cement should float for a few minutes before it sinks. The immediate sinking of cement indicates the presence of impurities
- The colour of the cement should normally be greenish grey.
- When you insert your hand into the cement bag, it must give you a cool feeling. There should not be any lumps inside.
- Take a pinch of cement and feel-between the fingers. It should give a smooth not a gritty feeling.
- Take 100g of cement and small quantity of water and make a stiff paste. Prepare a cake with sharp edges and put on the glass plate and slowly take it under water in a bucket. See that the shape of the cake is not disturbed while taking down to the bottom of bucket. After 24 hours the cake should retain its original shape and at the same it should set and attain some strength.
- Take a pinch of cement and smell it. If the cement contains too much of pounded clay and silt as an adulterant, the paste will give an earthy smell.
- For any assistance you can call on the contact number printed on the cement bag.