Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
Additives are defined as low-level ingredients that provide specific paint properties such as mildew resistance, deforming, good flow and leveling. Have you ever wondered how come paint can work as anti-fungal or algae resistance, more durable, rapid drying? Because, a paint manufacturer and researcher have added some additives in paint, which can provide the above-said properties.
Additives are the special components of paint. It is used in small quantities to impart additional characteristics and qualities to the paint. Use of additives in the right order, at the right time, and in the right proportion in a paint can help improve the appearance, durability of coating and flow of paints. Additives break bubbles which are formed in the paint when the paint is mixed for application. The purpose of using additives is also to improve the production and storing properties. It is also reduces the drag of the paint.
Additives include deformers, wetting & dispersing agents, thicker &anti setting agents, specialty additives, effluent treatment additives, Emulsifiers, etc.
Courtesy - Shutterstock
9 Reasons Why Additives are Added to Paint:
01. Some additives increase the flowing capacity of paint. It is also used for levelling the paint properties without excessive thinning. Modern paints have rapid dying due to the addition of additives. Hence this does not allow the paint to flow on a surface and also does not allow to leave brush marks.
02. The ranges of paint product give textured look due to the addition of fine aggregates, granular powder etc. Textured additives are used to hide minor imperfections and give pleasant appearances. Textured additives are used to make paint well coated and more durable.
03. Some additives are used to turn a new paint into a long lasting air freshener. These additives are mixed into the paint before application to provide a subtle fragrance. It is useful for building maintenance, especially with apartments or house rentals that need a little more than a new colour.
04. Mildewcide paint additives are a most significant category of paint additives. The moist humid area which constantly requires washing or cleaning off mold and algae the mildewcide additives might be superior.
05. Anti-corrosive additives are added in the paint to prevent corrosion.
06. Anti fouling additives prevent the growth of sub aquatic organisms such as algae, barnacles, etc. A paint formulated from this composition is mostly used in underwater marine surfaces.
07. Anti-settling agents are incorporated in the paint to keep pigments in suspension. It prevents pigments or other finely divided solid particles from settling during storage. It also maintains the proper viscosity of the coating formulation.
08. Anti-skinning agent is added to the paint with a view to preventing or retarding the formation of an insoluble skin on the top of the surface in the paint containers. This may happen due to polymerization or oxidation reactions in paint containers.
09. Additives can help improve the appearance, durability of coating and flow of paints. These additives provide adequate viscosity so that the paint can be applied properly.