Sheen is about how much light is reflected from the surface of the paint when it is dry. The level of sheen you choose has a significant impact on both appearance and serviceability. It also affects the colour perception. Each sheen can give you different appearance of the surface for the same colour. The colour with higher sheen appears brighter and richer than the same colour with lower sheen of paint.
Colour is not the only consideration when planning painting for your home. The proper sheen you choose for the different surfaces and areas of your home will help you in following ways.
- The sheen you choose for particular area can helps to extend the durability of paint.
- How easy the surface will be to clean? (i.e. Scrub, stain and moisture resistant)
- Aesthetical looks and feelings.
- To hide defects and imperfections of a surface.
Courtesy - prettyhandygirl
There are various sheen scales available and each has their own characteristics. Choose your sheen based on much traffic the area will receive. Different sheens are used for specific rooms due to their performance, features and aesthetic qualities. Higher the sheen, higher the durability of paint. Here we have provided some basic information to help you to choose right sheen of paint.
01. Flat or Matt
It has the least amount of shine because it is low-sheen paint with a non-reflective finish. This type of sheen is most commonly used for interior wall paints.
- It can easily touch up and hide minor surface imperfections like undulations or cracks.
- Ideal for low traffic areas.
- It gives a calm and serene feeling, because of its textural element.
- Excellent choice for older walls because it conceals flaws.
- It gives poor light and gloomy look.
- It holds the dirt and shows figure prints very easily.
- It proves much hard to clean without leaving a mark because cleaning can remove the finish.
- It needs regular retouching.
- It is more porous.
Living room, dining room, bedrooms, ceilings of all rooms etc.
Egg shell sheen is similar in appearance to the surface of an egg. It has a soft, velvety appearance. It is slightly more lustrous than the flat finish.
- It has some reflectivity, more than flat paint.
- It offers washability and resists stains and scuffs.
- It does not highlight imperfections quite as much.
- It offers more depth and warmth.
- It is easy to apply and can cover well with a single coat.
- Best for low traffic area.
Dining room, kid’s Room, Bathroom, Kitchen
It is smooth and silky paint finish. It retains pearl like sheen when dry. It reflects more light than the matt finish.
- Satin is slightly glossier than eggshell finish.
- Ideal for indoor or outdoor use.
- Offers good stain resistance and also resist mildew and dirt.
- Washable and scrubbable.
- This finish does not hide imperfections of the surface. Hence, need very well rendered wall surface.
Family room, playroom, laundry room, kitchen, bathrooms, dining room, kid’s bedroom, trim and doors.
It reflects the most light when dry and provides bright sheen. It has a slightly glossy appearance and is less reflective than glossy paints.
- It offers good stain resistance, are easy to clean.
- Effortlessly scrub semi-gloss paint sheen surfaces.
- Most suitable for high traffic area.
- It can be used both for indoor or outdoor.
- It brings out imperfection and hence needs very well finished wall surface.
Doors, Windows, trims, moldings, hallways, cabinets, kitchens and bathrooms, walls or ceilings with little to no blemishes.
It is the highest level of sheen and highly reflective appearance imparting a slick and contemporary look. It has a glass like finish.
- It is the most reflective sheen.
- It is tough, highly durable and stands up to multiple cleanings
- Ideal for a surface that requires frequent washing.
- Gloss adds energy and excitement
- Tend to highlight any surface characteristics
- Excellent choice for trim and cabinets
- Ideal for areas exposed to heavy traffic.
- Sheens with higher gloss brighten rooms.
- Glossy sheens provide a look similar to plastic or enamel
- It can highlight surface imperfections needs very well finished wall surface.
- It takes longer time for drying.
Trim, Woodwork, Moldings, Doors, Cabinets, Kitchen, Bathrooms.
Selection of right sheen for first time will help you the hassle of having to repaint. Choosing the right paint sheen for your home depends on the look, durability, and ambiance you want.