Which Permissions Do I Need Before Commencing Construction of a House?

If you want to build a new house, you must obtain construction permission from your local authority before you start construction. It is important to obtain statutory permissions, failing in which you may have the risk of penalties in terms of fines as well as imprisonment or demolition of the construction if the construction not permissible otherwise in law.

Construction Permissions Required
Courtesy - 123rf

Following permissions are required before constructing a house. (Applicable from case to case, location of site & type of construction):

* 01. Non agricultural permission for land for Residential use (From Revenue Authority, District Collector, DDO or TDO / BDO)

* 02. Construction permission from local authority (Municipality or Area Development Authority, Panchayat)

* 03.  Fire Department: No objection from fire officer is more important particularly in case of high rise buildings.

* 04. Environmental: Environmental permission is required for a very big project, Large schemes having 20,000 sq.mt. of construction area need environmental clearance. If you are buying a flat in such a large scheme, ensure that your builder has obtained such permission.

Also Read: What is Non Agricultural Permission & Why it is Required?

** 05. Airport Authority: It is required, if and only if your site comes in the range of “Funnel” near the airport i.e. area within which the landing and takeoff of aircraft happens. It is must irrespective of whether you are in a city, gamtal, industrial or rural area. There are height restriction in funnel zone.

** 06. Railways: It is required if your property is adjoining the railway. Mostly you cannot do any construction within 30.00 m from boundary of railway except old gamtals in city area.

** 07. Highways: You have to provide 9.00 m to 75.00 m margin from center of road (land width) to proposed construction depending upon the types of highway i.e. whether it is national highway, state highway, major district road, other district road or village road and again as to whether it is within gamtal, municipal or in open rural agricultural area.

** 08. H.T. Electrical Lines: As per Indian Electricity Act, you have to leave minimum horizontal & vertical margin from H.T. lines depending upon its voltage carrying capacity.

** 09. Irrigation: From irrigation canals also you need to provide minimum margin generally 30.00 m in rural area.

10. Archeology: You can’t do any construction within 30.00 m from protected archeology sites. Different sites have different rules and you are advised to contact the authority.

*  11. Coastal Area Zone: As per coastal area regulations you have to provide 15.00 m to 500.00 m margin depending upon location of property i.e. gamtal, rural, urban, semi urban and whether it is along coast or some kilometer away from coast.

*  There are permissions required.

** There are basically” No Objection” subject to basic margin regulations as applicable if the property is within such zone.

Also Read: What does the Title Clear Certificate Generally States?






Best Home Designs

Showcase your Best Designs

Material Exhibition

Explore the world of materials.
Exhibit your Brands/Products.

More From Topics

Use below filters for find specific topics