Portable Fire Extinguisher is a [simple_tooltip content=’Something that can be easily carried or moved’]portable[/simple_tooltip] fire fighting equipment which can be moved manually to the place of fire. It contains fire extinguishing material and is specially designed for the purpose of tackling with fire in its initial stage.
Fire Extinguisher is portable or wheeled, instantly operatable. It has adequate throw and quantity to extinguish fire as per fire rating and shelf life from the date of manufacture.
Courtesy - 123rf
The different types of Fire Extinguisher are:
According to their method of operation
Gas Cartridge Type of Extinguisher:
Pressurised Co2 Gas cartridge is used to release the pressure which is stored inside the body of the extinguisher. Knob is provided at the top of extinguisher for puncturing the cartridge. As puncturing the cartridge, gas is released from it, which will force the extinguish material to come out from the body of the extinguisher. Forced extinguish material comes out through the nozzle of the extinguisher in the form of a small jet, which can be projected on to the fire and extinguish the fire.
Stored Pressure Type of Extinguisher:
Dry air pressurised up to 10 bars is used to release the pressure which is stored inside the body of the extinguisher. The air can be supplied by compressed air cylinders or by certain type of pump. Safety pin, lever arm and hose are provided at the top of extinguisher. By removing safety pin, depressing the valve lever arm, the hose is used to direct the extinguish material jet to extinguish the fire.
According to the extinguishing material/agent they contain
- Water type extinguishers: In this type of extinguisher water is used as a extinguish material. There are two types of water type extinguisher according to their operational method
01. Water(gas cartridge) type extinguisher
02. Water(Stored Pressure) extinguisher
Also Read: What is a Water Type of Extinguisher?
- Foam extinguishers: In this type of extinguisher pre-mixed foam solution (Aqueous Film-Forming Foam) is used as a extinguish material. There are two types of Foam extinguisher according to their operational method
01. Foam (gas cartridge) type extinguisher
02. Foam (Stored Pressure) extinguisher
Also Read: What is a Foam Extinguisher?
- Dry powder extinguishers: The base chemical of most dry chemical powders is sodium bicarbonate with the addition of a metallic stearate as a waterproofing agent, is widely used as an extinguishant, To decrease the bulk density silicones additives used and it reduce packing in the cylinder.
- CO2 extinguishers: CO2 is suitable for extinguishing fires involving smouldering carbonaceous solid materials, flammable and combustible liquids, combustible gases except where explosive atmospheres are likely to develop and live electrical apparatus. There are two types of CO2 extinguishing systems:
01. High Pressure System
02. Low Pressure System
- Halon alternative type extinguishers: Hydrocarbons in which one or more hydrogen atoms have been replaced by halogen atoms like fluorine, bromine, chlorine or iodine, this combination with halogens renders non flammable agent and also imparts flame extinguishment properties. These agents are clean, electrically non-conductive, and leave no residue. This unique combination of highly desirable properties led to these agents being selected for a wide range of fire protection applications.