Corridor or Galley arrangement is acceptable when the doors are necessary at both ends of the Kitchen. It can also be referred as a gallery Kitchen with more lengths than a width. These corridor kitchens are economical in space but can be inefficient if not properly planned. Most of the home chefs prefer corridor kitchen as it acts well with kitchen work triangle, but has its own pros and cons which will give you the clear idea for choosing the right layout for your kitchen.
Courtesy - 123rf
01. It is the most efficient and functional style of layout with everything the person needs to cook– from spices to pots and pans, all from within can be easily grasped.
02. The Corridor or Galley kitchen set up is easy-to-access. This kitchen design has the potential to transform and utilise the passageway into a highly functional space.
03. For small apartments or houses, this kitchen layout is more appropriate.
04. There are two Parallel counters; the cook is more able to move easily from one work centre to another.
05. There are no corner base cabinets in this arrangement.
06. The length of kitchen work triangle can be easily maintained as they are not spread out.
- The negative aspects of Corridor or galley kitchens are that they can be tight and not well lit because of their narrowness.
- The counter spaces are limited.
- More cooks working together, traffic may cause congestions in the kitchen.
- You may need the large width to accommodate two counters or platform.