A fresh painting job on the outside makes your house look pleasant and last longer. The paint job indicates that the work of a home is completed. It gives a sense of completion and newness. Selection of paint therefore is the very important task. Nowadays latest paints are available in the market. One of the alternatives is emulsion paint.
Courtesy – Shutterstock
Also Read: Basic Component of Emulsion Paint
Emulsion paint has many advantages over the usual paint:
- Emulsion paints are less toxic as compared to other oil based paints and zero volatile organic compounds and also fewer skin irritations.
- Emulsion paints are easy to apply and dry quickly than other water based and oil based paint.
- The surface of emulsion paint is hard and can be easily cleaned by washing with water. Exposure to water will not affect the colour or quality of emulsion paint.
- Emulsion paints can be painted on to any surfaces like metal, wooden furniture, Course walls, glass, and concrete.
- Different application techniques can be used such as brushing, spraying, dip, flow, and roller.
- Emulsion paint is available in severaldifferent finishes such as matt finish, egg shell, semi-glossy and glossy finish.
- The emulsion paint is less odorous and non-inflammable hence it is safe for our health/
- Emulsion paints are ideal for ceilings and walls because it is thick and easy to apply. They are humidity – resistant and hence can be easily used in steamy rooms like kitchens and bathrooms.
- Emulsion paints use water as the medium which carries the colour pigment to the surface that is being painted. By the time the paint dries, the water evaporates completely. These paints have very little risks for humans and animals around because the only thing that evaporates and enters the air is hydrogen and oxygen.
- Emulsion paints don’t dry, crack or fade in the sunlight. Emulsion paints are less likely to attract the growth of mildew on it.
- Emulsion paints hold well to almost any surface. It can also used without any pre-treatment.
Emulsion Paint has some disadvantages, too:
- Emulsion paints have low drying rate at high humidity.
- It may be more expensive than the oil based paint.
Emulsion paints are known to have more elasticity than oil based paints. Hence emulsion paints are gaining vast popularity with the public’s efforts to avoid using paints that involve harmful solvents and dangerous chemicals in its application and cleanup.