Shade variation is the most common defect observed in floor/wall tiles. The shade of tiles is the combination of a number of visual characteristics of the tile surface, including its colour and the distribution pattern of colour or decoration over the tile surface.
Shade variation may vary with the production of tiles. It is the variation of shade or depth of colour among the different batches of tiles.These problems may occur due to following reasons:
These problems may occur due to following reasons:
- Water absorption is the main cause for the shade variation of tiles and degree of moisture absorption also varies from tile to tile.
- All tiles will absorb moisture to some degree and due to water absorption just like wet chalk or sponge, tile body will look like a darker colour or shade.
- Variations in input materials affect the colour variation of the tiles.
- If the concentration of input chemicals is varied from one batch to another batch then also the shade variation occurs.
- Variations in firing or firing temperature during manufacturing are also cause the shade variation of tiles.
- Variations in glazing thickness also affect the shade variation of tiles.
- Variations in printing design on tiles during manufacturing also cause shade variation.
- Tile of varying shade gets stacked in one lot, during storage of tiles.
- During final delivery of tiles on site, delivery may happen from two different lots of different shades.
- Two batches may have been mixed when packed in the pallet in the factory. This also causes the shade variation of tiles.
- Philosophically each person’s eye also perceive colour whole differently.
Must Read: How Does Human Eye Perceive the Colour?
Ways to address shade variation in tiles:
- Assort the tiles on the floor and check shade all tiles. If there is shade variation replaces it from the floor/storage.
02. Spray Water:
- Spray water on all tiles and observe the shade of tiles. If shade of tile changes, remove that tile and replace it with same shade.
03. Arrange on floor:
- Arrange the tiles on the floor and check the shade of tile with naked eye. If any variation is observed in shade, replace it from the floor.