Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
A concrete mixer is a device that can be used for homogeneously combine cement, aggregate, sand or gravel and water to form the concrete. Nowadays concrete experts require the concrete that takes less time while mixing the concrete ingredients. Concrete mixer mixes the concrete ingredients quickly compare to the manual mixing. A concrete mixer uses the revolving drum to mix the concrete components. Portable Concrete mixers are used when smaller volume work can be done at the construction site. The concrete mixers help to achieve uniform mix and it discharges the concrete mix without disturbing the quality of concrete.
Generally concrete is used to construct the framed structure in which concrete mixer plays an important role for small work. Unguarded machinery used in the manufacturing of concrete can lead to worker injuries. Concrete mixers may be driven by electric motors or by diesel engines depending on the location or types of the structure being erected. Different types of concrete mixer machines are available in the market. Concrete mixers may be tilting or non-tilting type.
Also Read: What do you mean by Batching of Concrete?
Safety Measures while using Concrete Mixer at Construction Site
Followings are the recommended safe practises while using concrete mixer at construction site:
- Always test mixer by running it empty prior to the use. Frequently check the loose nuts or bolts of concrete mixer and make sure, they are tightened very well.
- After concreting, workers place their tools like ghamelas, trowel, etc. in the drum of concrete mixer. Make sure all equipment and tools are removed from the concrete or mortar mixer prior to turning it on.
- Workers or operator have to keep his hands, clothing and tools away from the moving part of concrete mixer.
- Never leave the running mixer unattended. Keep concrete mixer in good condition as loose or damaged parts of machine may cause accident.
- Never overload mixer to produce concrete in lesser time. It could damage the mixer.
- For electrically driven mixers, the wire connecting the mixers should be in good and sound condition, and the circuit-breaker should be well maintained. Earthing of electric motor should be done as per specifications and rules and also with the instruction of engineer in-charge.
- In case of concrete mixer that operated by diesel engine, if the exhaust gases (smoke) of a diesel engine is inhaled for longer period, it may cause diseases. Hence, the smoke should be directed away from the operator or concrete workers.
- Nobody should be allowed to go near to the hopper of mixer machine. All gears and moving parts of concrete mixture should be well guarded.
- Disconnect the power or shut off the engine from the concrete mixer, before servicing, adjusting, installing accessories or attachments.
- Accidents normally occur during the cleaning of mixing drum. Care should be taken to display the notice, “Under Repairs” while cleaning the drum.
- Wire ropes operating the drum and clutches should be inspected regularly.
- Do not move the cement mixer during operation. The mixer could tip over or the motor could be damaged.
- In case of concrete mixer operated by electricity, always check the direction of rotation of drum/cylinder with respected to the arrow marked on the drum/cylinder. Sometimes the direction of rotation or time interval of rotation are changed due to the wrong cable connection to electrical motor that will causes bad mixing of concrete ingredients and result in to the poor concrete.
- Keep working area clean and dry to prevent tripping and slipping.
- Electrical outlets and tools are properly grounded and use proper lighting for the job at moving or rotating parts.
- Do not allow children to play on or around the concrete Mixer
- Turn off the motors and wait for all moving parts to stop before servicing, maintaining or cleaning.
Construction machinery like concrete mixer machine has always minor hazards including gear, belts, break, hopper rope, and other rotating parts. A body part may get caught between the rotating mixing drum or axels of machine. Electrical power can also be hazardous. Hence it is necessary to follow aforementioned practice when you carry out concreting work with portable concrete mixer machine.