Paint is applied to the surfaces to serve two purposes: Decoration and Protection. It makes our surroundings more attractive, live and vibrant. Each paint has its own life. Deterioration of the paint earlier to its rated life is considered as a failure of the paint.
Several defects like chalking, blistering, efflorescence, etc. are observed in painting, either during or after the paint application. These defects arise due to either effect of atmosphere, sunlight, heat, humidity and dust or individually or jointly deteriorating it. Among them, sagging is one of the most common defects observed after the paint application.
Courtesy - Shutterstock
When paint drops downward after application on the surface is called sagging. Sagging is more prominent if a thick layer of paint is applied on a vertical or inclined surface. It occurs if pigment gets separated from the paint and gets settled down at the bottom of the container. We have already discussed causes of sagging in our recent article.
Precautions to Prevent Sagging on Painted Surface:
- Always sand and clean the surface before application.
- Avoid applying paint in cool or humid conditions.
- Thin only with appropriate recommended thinners.
- Ensure good ventilation.
- Drying time increase in cold weather.
- Follow label and data page directions for the appropriate spreading rate for the product. Two coats of paint at the recommended spread rate are better than one thick coat.
Tips for Fixing or Repairing Sagging:
- If the paint is still wet, immediately brush or roll out the excess paint to work it in harmony with the rest of the coat.
- If the sagging paint has dried, sand it and reapply a new coat of paint.
- Apply more coats of a thinner paint film.
- If you notice any glossy surface, lightly sand them with the sandpaper before applying a new coat of paint.
Painting defects generally arise because of taking shortcuts or missing issues that need to resolve before painting. So always make good surface preparation. Good preparation takes time and efforts. Don’t shortcut it. Don’t forget in life also short cut will cut you short.