Can I Store Cement Bags During Monsoon?
Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
Nowadays, almost all countries produce cement to meet the current demand of concrete and construction industries. Concrete experts around the globe are frequently trying to develop the new process of manufacturing the cement to make it more sustainable and somehow, they have succeeded also. To know how cement is made, we have splendidly explained the both dry process of manufacturing the cement and wet process of manufacturing the cement.
Cement is a key building material which is been used to compose the concrete. Due to the inherent properties of cement, it can bind the all the remaining ingredients of the concrete together when water is added. It has many more properties which makes it very popular materials in the construction industries. To know more, read properties of cement. So, while talking about the adding water in cement can initiate the process of hydration. This is why we decided to write this article regarding what could be done to store the cement during monsoon.
The cement is a highly hygroscopic material so that it catches moisture very quickly. The properties of cement i.e. binding property and strength etc. mainly depend on the chemical reaction. Chemical reaction take place in the presence of moisture.
During monsoon there are chances of moisture penetration in the stacked cement bags and the chemical reaction may therefore take place.Once chemical reaction takes place between cement and moisture, cement loses its strength and freshness and cement becomes useless.
Yes, you can store cement bags during monsoon, however extra safety is required during the monsoon.
Store Cement Bags During Monsoon
Following important points must be considered for storing cement bags during monsoon:
- The stack shall be completely enclosed by a waterproofing membrane such as polyethylene, which is closed on the top of the stack. Care shall be taken to see that the waterproofing membrane is not damaged any time during use. Tie the polyethylene sheet tightly by pegs so that it should not blow off in high wind.
- You need to first check the leakages from the roof of warehouse or godown before storing cement bags inside. If any leakages are found from the roof, first rectify it because it may damage the stock of the cement bags.
- Sometimes cement requirement of a day may have to be stored at site in the open area. In such cases, cement bags should be laid on a dry leak proof platform made of wooden planks resting over brick-masonry concrete, dry sand (fine aggregates) raised about 15 cm above the ground level.
- The place where cement bags are stored should not get flooded due to rain. Give proper approach and slope for rain water so that it easily drains out.Temporary storage in open space should not be adopted at all during monsoon.
- During the heavy rain, handling of cement (loading or unloading of cement from manufacturer’s godown) should be avoided so chances of damage of cement is controllable.
- During the monsoon, the air tends to have higher amount of moisture. Hence do not store the higher numbers of cement bags in godown or warehouse during the monsoon season. Otherwise, it may react with atmospheric moisture and may develops lumps and ultimately become useless.
- It is not safe to use the moisture affected cement bags for any work. However, ,it can be used to do the non-structural concrete work like PCC, etc.
- Make the suitable slope on construction site so the rain water easily gets drain out from the working area and result into the dry area. To carry out construction work on water logged site, read foundation in waterlogged area.
- During the heavy rain, major cementing or concrete work are halted until the rain stops or situation improves. We have already discussed the tips which helps to carry out concrete work during the rain. Read concrete pouring while raining.
- The major cost to construct your house is the cost of cement. It means, a little wastage/damage of cement can make a huge difference on the overall cost of construction of your dream home. Hence it is advisable to follow all above given precautions to protect the cement bags during the monsoon.Do share your personal experiences or any incident that has halted you during monsoon while constructing your house.