Who would not like the new paint in his or her house to have a uniform appearance? In fact the non-uniformity in colours is the first thing that will mar the beauty of the house. In technical terms, it is called“consistency” of paint. The consistency of paint should remain same during the entire painting works.
For small works it is easy to maintain consistency of the paint during the application. It is because you can complete your painting work within one drum or bucket load of paint and in a shorter time. However for painting large areas,several liters of paint are required and it will last for several weeks. In this case, there are all chances for colour and shade or sheen variations. The colour and sheen variations are normally observed after completion of painting work.One part of the wall or surface may look slightly different than the rest of wall.
Both the consistency of colour and sheen are very important to enhance the beauty of the house. There are various factors, which affects the consistency of paint. Here we are trying to give you some tips to avoid it.
Courtesy - Shutterstock
- The first and very important is: Purchase all your paint from the same store or shop at the same time. Always buy paint little more than you need. This will help you at last for a repaint or for hiding stains patches, etc.
- Nowadays paintis available after computerized mixing to get specific hue. But sometimes there might be an error in calibration of the equipment.Even a slight deviation from formula changes the hue of the paint. Therefore, always buy all the same type of paint at the same time to minimize such risks.
- Plan out your painting work in such a manner so that you don’t need to open a new bucket of paint in the middle of the wall.
- Sometimes colour difference is noticeable on the same wall. The reason behind the same is that, that thecolour on every wall looks slightly different depending upon the nature and amount of light it receives and from the direction from which it receives light.
- Apply the same number of coats on every wall. An extra coat of paint always looks rich and one less coat of paint looks dull and consistency of colour may suffer.
- Apply the paint in the same manner i.e. straight down towards the floor. Give the consistent pressure to the brush or roller rather than trying to stretch your paint here and there.
Courtesy - Shutterstock
These are all factors very important during the painting works for achieving uniform look of your house. We spend so much money for painting our house but if the appearance of the house is not attractive, it will lead us to regret,as it would not be worth money spent. So observe all the precautions to get uniform consistency all throughout your house.