Architect / Content Writer
The water stain marks are usually found on wooden surfaces which are porous as it absorbs any liquid. Such permanent marks are difficult to remove.
The water stain marks made by the steam or liquid on wooden surfaces are usually white or light-coloured, which means that they have not penetrated deeply through the polished surface. When it stains dark it indicates that liquid has penetrated through the wooden finish and deep into wood itself.
Following are some tips to remove the water stain marks from wooden furniture:
Courtesy - 123rf
01. When the wooden furniture is damaged by water, dry the furniture quickly by placing it in a warm place having steady temperature and good air circulation. Too much warmth will crack the wood, while too much cold will cause it to dry slowly and encourage the growth of mold.
02. To remove the white spots/ water stain from the wooden furniture, make the solution by using equal quantities of baking soda & toothpaste. Take the clean cotton and wet it into this solution and rub it on the affected area, then buff/wipe the area with cloth. If this process does not remove the white spots, then it is advisable to hire a professional.
03. If you find dark water stains on wood, it means that the water has seeped into the wood and can lead to the growth of mildew. In this case you need to strip the finish and reapply it in which professional will be required.
04. Another simple trick is to apply the Vaseline over water stains on wood and wipe it off once. The stain will disappear.
05. Bottled shoe polish can also be used to cover up stains on your wooden furniture.
06. To hide stains left by cups and glasses, use abrasive paper to roughen the area and then rub the cigarette ash mixed with cooking oil.