10+ Types of Wallpaper for your Home Interior!
Wallpaper is the most common alternative used instead of painting. It is widely used as a wall covering material. Home wallpapers are available with a variety of colours, patterns, materials and textures for the living room, dining room, bedroom, kitchen and any area of your home. It is important to be aware regarding different types of wallpaper as all wallpapers are distinguishly used!
In the market different types of wallpaper are available, and it gives different types of surface finishes. Wallpaper for walls is one aspect of use for interior wall decoration. The materials used for making of home wallpaper are vinyl, paper, fabric, grass, foil, flock, natural bamboo etc.
Types of Wallpaper:
Here we give you an overview of the different types of wallpaper, so that you don’t confuse during selection of home wallpaper!
01. Vinyl Wallpaper:
- Vinyl is most popular and widely used wall covering material.
- Vinyl wallpaper is available in four types which include fabric backed vinyl, paper backed vinyl, vinyl coated and solid vinyl.
- Vinyl wallpapers are easy to install, and also they easy to maintain.
02. Textile Wallpaper:
- Textile wallpapers are almost old types of wallpaper.
- Textile wallpapers are available in many colours and textures, from very casual to elegantly formal.
- Textile wallpaper make you feel like a fabric, velvet, silk, linen or cotton-depending on the composition!
- Textile wallpaper gets affected by moisture, quickly absorb odours and so it needs clean and fresh conditions.
Also Read: Textured Paint: All You Need to Know
03. Grass Cloth Wallpaper:
- Grass cloth wallpapers are made with natural grasses that are woven together with thin cotton thread, and these are adhered to paper backing.
- Glass cloth wall wallpapers are environment friendly because it is made with the natural material.
- This wallpaper adds warmth and character to your home space!
- These wallpapers contain various imperfections which may include knots and frays.
- It is easy to apply, and it requires strong adhesive material to attach to the walls for a long time.
- Glass cloth wallpaper is expensive because it requires special application techniques.
04. Hand Screened Wallpaper:
- In hand screened paper each colour is applied with a separate handmade and hand placed silk screen.
- Hand screened wallpapers have a unique three-dimensional appearance and can offer a wealth of colours in just a single pattern.
- Hand screened pattern match less accurately than machine printed.
05. Foils Wallpaper or Metallic Wallpaper:
- Foil wallpaper is created by applying a thin sheet of metallic foil to a paper backing.
- Foil wall wallpapers have a reflective quality can brighten up a small and dark space.
- The foils come in a variety of colours, which most popular being gold, silver and copper.
- Foil wall coverings are unique and also add dramatic, contemporary look to any room.
Note: While applying foil around light switches and outlets or near any electric point to be careful to cut material at reasonable distance away, as metal foil conducts electricity.
06. Flock Wallpapers:
- Flock wallpaper were originally designed to follow velvet and textile wall coverings; it was made by gluing powdery by-product of wool to fabric, producing a velvety, luxury effect.
- Flock wallpaper is very costly, and it is mainly used in luxuries houses.
- Flock wallpaper is very delicate, strip-able and not washable.
07. Murals Wallpaper or Photo Wallpaper:
- Mural wallpapers or photo wallpapers are large photograph that stretch over an entire wall.
- It is durable, moisture resistant and it creates a high-quality image.
- Mural wallpapers generally represent scenic beauty of nature or any scenes from an historical event in the room.
Generally, panels must be hung in a particular order, as specified by the manufacturer.
08. Natural Bamboo Wallpaper:
- Natural bamboo wallpaper is handcrafted wallpaper and is made with environment – friendly natural material.
- The actual texture and colour varies from roll to roll because natural handmade bamboo wallpaper has different variations of colour and texture.
09. Embossed Wallpaper:
- Embossed wallpaper is embossed (Decorated with a raised pattern created by pressure or embroidery) colour patterned wallpaper with a decorative finish.
- The texture of embossed wallpaper makes them a good choice for hiding damaged or uneven surfaces.
10. Paintable Wallpaper or Anaglypta Wallpaper:
- Paintable wallpaper or anaglypta wallpaper is made with various materials such as paper, glass fiber, synthetic or textiles.
- This wallpaper varies from light, random patterns to heavily embossed geometric patterns which need to be lined up strip by strip.
- This wallpaper is ideal for the hiding defects in walls.
11. Woodchips Wallpaper:
- Woodchips wallpaper consists of small chips of wood on the finished side of a paper.
- Woodchips wallpaper is ideal for hiding small defects in walls, ceiling particularly after applying paint.
12. Lining Wallpaper:
- Lining wallpaper is used to cover the minor imperfection on walls before applying new painting, hiding a strong colour previously applied to the walls or ceilings before applying lighter colour wallpaper or paint.
- Lining wallpaper is used on bare walls and ceilings in preparation for painting or papering.
13. Liquid Wallpaper:
- Liquid wallpaper is a form of emulsion or powder that has to be mixed with water.
- Liquid wallpaper is applied to the wall with a roller or sprays gun, and it can be mixed with special paints.
- Liquid wallpaper does not have borders.
- These wallpapers are used for hiding minor surface defects.
14. Cork Wallpaper:
- Cork wallpaper is natural decorative and modern alternative to traditional wall and ceiling.
- These wallpapers are ideal for offices, children’s room and any other areas.
- It is available in tiles, panels and strips.
Note: Every wallpaper need different installation process. Always prepare wall surface according to the manufacturer’s instructions while installing any wallpaper.
Finally, these are the different types of wallpaper used in wall covering. After you know which wallpaper is suitable for your home, you should take decision according to your requirement and budget. So now it is time to hang suitable wallpaper for walls for increasing the beauty of your house.