Windows are usually a lifetime proposition in your house. They are always very visible – people look at them as well as through them. It provides solar heating in the winter, insulation against heat loss and in some cases against sound. There are different types of windows available in the market like aluminium windows, uPVC windows, wooden window, sliding window, etc. depending upon material and design. uPVC windows amongst them are one of the best window types.
What is uPVC Window?
Nowadays, uPVC windows (Unplasticized Polyvinyl Chloride Windows) are in trends and are being widely used because of its low cost, easy installation and as it enhances the beauty of your house. It is easy to install anywhere and even it adds great value to your house.
How uPVC Window is Made?
uPVC (Unplasticized Polyvinyl Chloride) material is based on plastic powder, which is heated up and injected into a mould in order to form its shape known as a profile. After that, it gets cooled through different methods. Profiles are then cut and joined using heat-fusion welding. Galvanized steel reinforcement sections are then fixed inside the uPVC profiles to provide strength.
Also Read: What is Glass & How it is Made?
01. uPVC Window Colours
Few years ago, uPVC windows used to come in white plastic looks, which is sometimes considered as plain when compared to other types of window i.e. wooden window, aluminium window, etc. However, with modern technology, different colours of uPVC windows are available like green, black, brown etc.
02. uPVC Window Style
uPVC windows are available in various style like
(a) uPVC Casement Window
(b) Tilt and Turn uPVC Window
- Tilt and turn uPVC window either tilts inside from the top or uses the side hinges to open inwards.
(c) uPVC Fixed Window
- uPVC fixed window can neither be opened nor closed. Its main purpose is to let light filter inside the house.
(d) uPVC Sliding Window
- uPVC sliding windows have two or more sashes that overlap slightly but slide horizontally within the frame.
Advantages of uPVC Window
- uPVC windows are considered durable as compared to wood and aluminium window as they do not get affected by moisture or termite. uPVC windows are resilient and tough. Thus, you will not have to replace them for a very long time.
02. Enhanced Security:
- UPVC window is reliable when it comes to security, as well. The way the frame is constructed, it is difficult to break through or damaged. They are reinforced with galvanized steel which makes them extremely hard to break down.
- Insulation is another strong feature of uPVC window. These types of window provide the most optimal heat and energy insulation. It does not only keep you warm during winter but also make your room soundproof and reduce noise pollution.
Also Read: 8 Factors to Consider when Choosing Windows
- uPVC window frames are a storm and weatherproof since the damp cannot enter through the surface of uPVC windows frames. Therefore, they are non-corrosive and will not be eroded by adverse weather.
05. Energy Efficient:
06. Fire Resistance:
07. Termite Free:
- uPVC windows are also termite free.
08. Are uPVC Windows Toxic?
- uPVC is a safe and non-toxic material. It’s production is highly regulated to make sure that it does not cause any harm or toxicity.
09. Low Maintenance:
10. uPVC Window Installation:
11. Low Cost:
Disadvantages of uPVC Window
- In case of fire, uPVC window itself gets burnt. Therefore, it gets out of the shape easily.
- The strength of the uPVC window is less as compared to aluminium and wooden window.
03. Scratch Resistance:
04. Colour Fade:
- The colour of uPVC window may get fade due to the exposure of sunlight. Some uPVC window will turn into yellow, white or even pink colour. It will get brittle and may break over a time.
- Some companies of uPVC window offer a guarantee of 15 to 20 years. Please however note that wooden and aluminium windows will have much larger life. uPVC is not stable against solar radiation and heat and with a passage of time it may become brittle. Hence one has to always compare comparative capital cost of different alternatives and its maintenance cost (painting, etc.) over the year.
- uPVC windows are economical choice for your house. Its pleasing appearance will always keep you in good mood.