Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
The vitrified tiles have certain pros and cons which homeowners have to consider while selecting tiles for your home. Vitrified tiles are stain resistant but it is very slippery when wet.
Courtesy - 123rf
Following are several pros & cons of vitrified tiles:
- They are more durable and scratch resistant.
- Vitrified tiles are consistent in sizes, shades and thickness.
- Vitrified tiles are easier to install and need practically no setting time or polishing after laying. Therefore they can be used within 48 hours after laying.
- Vitrified tiles have very less water absorption and are stain resistant.
- Due to moisture resistant, vitrified tiles prevent bacteria and fungi from growing.
- It is easy to clean as it has shiny surface.
- These tiles will best option the flooring in wet areas as they are moisture resistant.
- The sheen is not lost very soon.
- The effect of sunlight neither alters the colour of the tiles nor causes them to fade.
Must Read: Properties of Vitrified Tiles
- Tiles need to be installed by an expert tile layer to ensure thin, even and neat joints between the tiles.
- The major disadvantage of vitrified tiles is that they are more expensive.
- The tile with the defect must be cut away along the grout lines and surrounding material could be damaged in the process.
- Moreover, it is quite unlikely that you will find the same tile after some years and hence when you buy tiles, always buy few extra pieces and serve it for public future use.
- In order to ensure the stability, high quality adhesives are used.
- Every year or after two year, the grout must be resealed or it will begin to look dirty. The sealant will create a hazy finish on the tiles if allowed to dry.
- It is difficult to install.
- Vitrified tiles are slippery when wet.
- Vitrified tiles are not environment friendly as the process of making them causes a significant cost of energy and carbon dioxide.