Window Blinds vs Shades: Choose the Right Window Treatment
Kinjal Mistry is a Civil Engineer and content writer who is working at gharpedia.com for the last two years. She is writing a creative article and also solve on any house related problems, specially Flooring, Painting, Doors and Windows.
Proper window treatments are a big part of home decor, both in the new home and also while renovating your existing one.
Window treatments are not only about style, fashion and design; it is also about function, protection and privacy. Apart from the curtains, there are two newer window treatments available in the market, i.e. window blinds and shades.
Before you choose this window covering, you need to understand the difference between window blinds and shades. Window blinds and shades are also used for decorative purpose. Both control sunlight and provide privacy. But the material and operating mechanism of window blinds and shades are different. Hence, here we give you a brief comparison of window blinds vs shades which will help you to choose right window treatments for your home.
Courtesy - skyblinds
- Blinds are window coverings that have vertical or horizontal slates. A lever is used to open or close the blinds to control the amount of light entering the room.
- Window shades made of soft fabric which continues roll to cover entire window opening, fitting closely to the window and assembling stiffly at the top.
- Window blinds are made up of hard materials wood, bamboo, aluminium, plastic or composite materials.
- They are made a variety of material such as fabric, fiberglass PVC mix fabrics, natural materials, and woven wood.
- It is available in the horizontal and vertical orientation which has a plain simple look.
- Window shades are available in wide range of colors and patterns.
- Venetian Blinds, Vertical Blinds, Faux Wood Blinds, Panel Track Blinds, Mini Blinds, etc. are various types of window blinds.
- Window shades are available in different types like Roman Shades, Roller Shades, Cellular shades, Solar Shades, etc.
05. Light Control
- The blinds provide flexible light control. The slats can be turned at different angles. So you can control the amount of light and adjust window blinds according to your need.
- As compared to blinds, shades are not adjustable. It blocks out light completely or allows some light to be spread through the window and into the room, depending upon nature of the fabric.
- The user is provided with complete light control.
- Window blinds take less space.
- This style of window treatment suit to small rooms and rooms with lots of windows, as they don’t appear as overwhelming as compared shades.
- Window shades are easy to maintain.
- The main advantage of window shade is that you get more control of how much and how little light can enter your home.
- They are often considered as a highly affordable option with quite stylish and functional.
- Solar shades block the sunlight without entirely blocking the view.
- Window Shades also take up less space and are installed within a window frame.
- Blinds are difficult to clean. You need to clean them one by one, which seems like wastage of time and is tedious.
- Window blind slats can easily get damaged, especially if you choose aluminium or plastic blinds.
- Window Blinds are less efficient at keeping the heat away.
- You cannot expect to match with total color scheme as easily as it is possible in the case of shades.
- Blinds are more expensive than shades.
- It is easy to clean as compared to window blinds.
- It completely blocks the sunlight entering the house.
- The colour of shades may fade away with sunrays and may become brittle because of ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Shades can stain and they do wear out faster than blinds.
- Window blinds are mostly used in the commercial application like offices, hospitals, etc.
- Window shades are used in both commercial and residential application as per the need and design.
The cost of the window blinds and shades depend on the options you choose. Some factors that affect the cost are labour, installation, materials, and any cleanup or disposal of previous window coverings.
From the above information of blind vs shades, we conclude that blinds are the hard window covering whereas shades are soft window covering. Blinds provide complete light control as compared to shades. Choose the window treatment according to your requirement and of course budget!