Flooring is the general term for a permanent covering of a floor. Floor covering is described as any finish material applied over a floor structure to provide a walking surface. Various flooring materials are available in the market. Marble flooring is one of the popular types of flooring materials.
Marble flooring is being used for centuries for residential houses. There are several advantages and disadvantages of marble flooring, which a homeowner must know before either installing or renovating the flooring. Here we give brief advantages and disadvantages of marble flooring.
The advantages and disadvantages of marble flooring are as follows:
- Marble is available in broad range of colours, patterns and designs, thus you can select from a variety of designs. No other material looks as elegant and beautiful as marble.
- It has a very smooth finish and when polished, it gives a luminous shine.
- As marble is translucent material, when exposed to sunlight, marble flooring glows and increases radiance in the room.
- For hot climates, marble flooring is favourable as one feels relatively cold underfoot.
- As it is soft in nature, tiles of exact dimensions can be easily cut, edges can be moulded, shaped, etc.
- The joints of marble tiles can be easily matched.
- It gives a soft appearance as compared to granite.
- It is eco-friendly material as no chemical process is involved in its manufacturing. Also, it is completely degradable at the end of its life.
- It looks excellent when mirror polished.
- If veins are perfectly matched, it will give excellent pleasing look.
- Marble flooring is extremely durable and long lasting, it can withstand any external pressure, and any sudden change of weight can easily be handled by this material. Thus it is very suitable for high traffic areas such as restaurants, hotels, etc.
- Marble Flooring creates a very significant aesthetic for interiors.
- It has high resistance to fire, unlike wood flooring, though both are natural materials.
- It is very easy to clean marble flooring.
- In case of white marble, it is better to lay it with white cement and on bed of white or yellow sand (not black sand). Also it is advisable to paint underside with white cement based paints to maintain and maximize its whiteness.
- Marble is a natural composition hence each individual piece is unique and different from another. Hence, if not skilfully, it may look awkward and unpleasant.
- Marble flooring gets very cold in winter season. Hence, it is not suitable for very cold weather regions, as you cannot walk barefoot on it.
- Marble flooring is very expensive as compared to other flooring materials.
- In marble flooring, there is an enormous amount of waste generated in cutting the marble, as each piece is different, and particularly when you have to match the design, sizing and veins.
- Marble is a natural material which reacts easily with an acid. Their interaction result in stains on its surface.
- Also it is a porous material and stains will be easily formed due to spillage of liquids such as tea, curry, dal, coffee, wine, juices, sauces, etc.
- Marble is innately a softer stone, which makes it susceptible to scratches from sharp or hard objects. Also marbles like Italian marble are very soft and are prone to cracking and chipping.
- Installation of marble flooring is very much time consuming, and requires skilled labourers, particularly when you have to match veins of marble.
- Marble flooring requires proper care and maintenance. Marble flooring should be regularly polished periodically.
- Marble also becomes yellowish in colour over a period of time, if it has more iron content. This will make it loose its original beauty.
- It is very difficult for laymen to choose marble based on its quality and strength just from its appearance. You might get cheated. Hence experienced person is required while buying it.
- Natural defects like veins, cracks, etc. are bound to be there in marble and hence it may result in more wastage or even it may crack after laying.
- Marble floors are very slippery when wet, which can be hazardous and can result in accidental falls.
- It is very difficult to change/replace marble flooring once installed, as the stone of same colour and design is hard to find after few years. You have to maintain some minimal stock while buying the marble tiles.
Marble flooring gives classic and timeless look to your home, but comes at high cost. Hence, you should consider the both advantages and disadvantages, before buying it.
Image Courtesy: Image 1