How to Calculate the Cubic Feet of a Log?
Monalisa Patel is a Structural Engineer who has earned her Master’s degree (ME) from the L.J College of Engineering and Technology Ahmadabad in 2018. She is an Engineer (Civil) at SDCPL – Gharpedia. Helping people to solve their queries about construction is her passion. Apart from being blogger, she also participates in structural design at SDCPL. She is reachable on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram & Facebook.
What is the first thing that carpenters need to think about when they have to make something out of wood? You simply cannot start off without calculating the volume of wood needed. In other words, you have to think about how to calculate cubic feet of wood log and find out the number of logs needed for a particular job.
Inaccurate cubic feet measure can cause numerous problems for people involved in woodwork including wastage of wood, financial losses and incorrect constructions. Hence, the first job that needs to be completed is using an accurate tool for this job. A cubic feet calculator helps a lot if you want to get the accurate volume of wood without going through any hassle.
Knowing the Volume Formula is Not the Best Alternative
If you have a look at the volume formula of a log, it does not seem that hard after all. Here is what you need to use.
Cubic Feet of Log = V = π × r2 × h
- Simply knowing what this formula comprises of is not enough to determine the correct cubic feet measure. To start with, the first unwanted step is calculating the diameter and then using half of its value as the radius. The situation becomes even more complex when you have the diameter in decimals. It becomes hard to go through so much division and calculate the volume without any automated tool. For wood experts, it is hard to take out so much time and get involved in rigorous calculations. They need accurate measures without putting in a lot of effort.
Accurate Cubic Feet of Wood Log Calculations are Essential for Successful Wood Constructions
Making something out of wood without having accurate estimations is as hard as finding a needle in a haystack. Suppose that you need to create interior house architecture. This is a big scaled project so a lot of wood will be required to complete the task.
You would have to decide a budget and then procure wood accordingly. How many logs will be required for this job? This is the first question that will come to your mind. The quantity will depend on the volume of each log.
A professional woodwork specialist will not have the time to sit down with a pen and calculate the volume of each log. This is a lengthy procedure which would not work well for him. Determining cubic feet through an online calculator is a more dependable alternative.
- A wood construction can go horribly wrong if you don’t have accurate measures on the table. Incorrect calculations mean either the procurement would be insufficient or in surplus with wastage. In both cases, vendors would face inconveniences.
- Using a calculator provides an assurance that no errors will be made during the calculation process. The only thing you need to be sure about is using a high-quality tool. Substandard applications do not have a reliable framework due to which incorrect values are determined. In a nutshell, the user should be sure about the reliability of the cubic feet calculator he is considering.
Procedure for Determining Volume of Wood Log
A lot of people think that using an online tool to determine the volume can be a problem. This only happens when you have your hands on a complex calculator. The cylinder volume calculator is used to determine the cubic feet of a wooden log.
How to Calculate Cubic Feet of Wood Log?
01. Select “volume” option from the drop down menu
As you have to determine the volume of the log, select it from the drop down menu. This is the first selection which the user has to make. Once you are done, move on to the next set of inputs.
02. Enter the radius and height
If you have a look at the formula for calculating the volume of cylinder, radius and height are two key parameters. Simply enter them and move on to the result determination step. Once you click the “calculate” button, the volume will be shown on your screen. In an overall manner, this process is quite simple and users do not have to go through any stress to complete it.
Usage of Time for Core Woodwork Tasks
As it is mentioned above, it is never easy to create a wooden structure. There are several activities and steps involved until the final product is prepared. Usually, carpenters work with tight timelines and they have to complete all related tasks in the available duration. Hence, they cannot afford to spend time unnecessarily on anything.
- It takes a lot of time to determine the cubic feet of a log manually. Once you have a value, it would have to be rechecked as well. This means spending more time for the task. Even people who are good at mathematics consume several minutes to perform one volume calculation. A calculator does the same task in less than a minute. Hence, spending time unnecessarily is not wise thinking. During the wooden construction process, this step has to be performed several times. At each stage, it is not possible for these professionals to go through each step. Using a good calculator works in a much better manner.
- The cubic feet calculators are used online which means that you do not have to set up anything on your device. Other than that, they are mostly free so worrying about the cost factor is not needed in any way.
Hope this blog on how to calculate cubic feet of wood log will help you while you have to deal with woodwork.