How to Remove Coffee Stains from Carpet?
Kinjal Mistry was awarded a degree in Civil engineering in 2016 from Dharmsinh Desai University, Gujarat. She is a Manager (Civil B. Tech) at SDCPL – Gharpedia. She has a passion for Creative Writing. As a content writer she loves to write blogs on Civil Engineering, building materials etc. Besides, being a blogger, she also handles Construction estimating and Costing at SDCPL. She possesses excellent critical thinking skills to identify and offer solutions to engineering problems. She loves sports and reading novels. She is easily reachable on LinkedIn, Twitter and Quora.
Aroma of the coffee fill all your senses and make a perfect start of the day. What else can you ask for? Well nothing less than paradisiac start of your wonderful morning until your beloved little fur baby jumps up to get your attention and accidentally knocks the coffee on your new carpet. You are so upset but your little puppy is clueless of what happened. All of you must have experienced something similar somewhere in your life. Question remains how to remove these coffee stains from carpet?
Well, don’t worry! You came to the right place as we will provide you some useful and effective tips to remove coffee stains from carpet. And you won’t be upset with your loved ones for knocking that coffee.
Coffee stains work fast. They make their presence permanent very quickly. And who likes those ugly looking brown coffee stains on your exquisite carpet. And these stains can be really stubborn too and can be difficult to remove. When hot coffee is spilled on your carpet, it binds to the fiber, making complete erasing of stains extremely difficult. The basic rule of thumb for all carpet stains is – the faster you act, the better you will be able to wipe out any coffee stains from carpet. Therefore, quick cleaning of carpet is essential before it make sever lasting impression on your carpet.
Things to Keep in mind Before you Begin
- Often, we have a dusting cloth with us handy but unfortunately that cloth holds more dust then it cleans. So pick-up a clean washed piece of cloth for blotting up as much of the coffee stains as possible. Keep pressing new clean sections of the cloth gently onto the coffee stain until, no more of the coffee gets transferred to the cloth.
- Don’t start to clean right from the middle of the stain. To prevent more spreading of a coffee stain on the carpet, work on the coffee stain from the outside to the middle.
- Do not scrub the carpet otherwise; it will damage the fibers of the carpet blotting is a more effective way.
- If you are using stain remover, it may lead to discoloration of the carpet. Always first test any such chemicals like stain removers or cleaning solutions on a hidden spot of your carpet. Make sure that it will not show any discolouration or other changes in the appearance of the carpet.
How to Get Rid of Coffee Stains on the Carpet?
Now let’s look at some of the effective ways to prevent these coffee stains on the carpet. Follow the below-mentioned remedies to get rid of the stubborn spots:
01. Use Soapy Solution to Get Rid of Coffee Stains
The first and very simple method is to use a soapy solution to remove coffee stains.
- Select a mild liquid dishwashing soup.
- Now gently pour the soap right over the coffee stain.
- Build some foam by adding water.
- Using cleaning sponge, gently scrub the soap and water along with the coffee stain.
- Use a clean towel to wipe away all the soapy solution from the carpet.
- Allow the carpet to air-dry for some time.
- In case the stains remain, you may need to repeat this process a couple of times to get rid of them completely.
02. Baking Soda and Vinegar to Prevent Coffee Stain
- First blot as coffee stain with paper towels or clean cloth as much as possible.
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the coffee stain generously and allow it to set for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take warm water and vinegar in equal amount and mix it together to make a paste. Pour this solution over the baking soda.
- Now, rub towel over the coffee stains until it completely disappears. (Make sure you take a light colour towel to avoid leaving colour stains on your carpet)
- Allow the carpet to air-dry or use a vacuum cleaner to dry quickly.
- Avoid walking on the area until the spot has dried completely.
- This will completely remove old coffee stains from carpet.
03. Use Hydrogen Peroxide Along with Club Soda
- Pour on club soda on coffee stains and blot it quickly. Continue doing so till you find the stains becoming lighter.
- If the stain isn’t fading fast, you should add a little bit of 3% hydrogen peroxide and let it stay for about 15 minutes.
- After that, blot it again and rinse it with either more club soda or some fresh cold water.
- Coffee stains will leave no trace on you lovely carpet.
04. Mixer of Baking Soda and Borax Powder
- Take a bowl and add two spoons of baking soda and one spoon of borax powder in water.
- Apply this solution on the coffee stain. And wipe it clean with a paper towel.
- Then allow the carpet to air dry. The stain will for sure leave the carpet alone.
05. Using Lemon Juice to Remove Stain
- Lemon juice is a natural bleach and it is another good solution as a coffee stain remover.
- Take lemon juice with 2 cups of lukewarm water. Add one spoon of mild detergent in this mix.
- Apply this solution on the coffee stains using a soft damp sponge.
- When you are finished, rinse it with clean and cold water.
- Press the carpet using a dry towel to remove any remaining moisture on the it.
- You may repeat this until you have your old stainless carpet back.
06. Enzyme Laundry Detergent to Remove Old Coffee Stain Out of Carpet
If the coffee contained sugar or cream; the above-mentioned methods might not help due to the stickiness of cream and sugar.
- In this case, mix one capful of enzyme laundry detergent with warm water in a bowl.
- Stir it well to blend properly.
- Using a fresh cloth, dab this cleaning solution on the dried-up coffee stain. It will help in breaking of mugginess of cream and sugar.
- Rinse the carpet with cold water and allow it to dry for some time.
07. Coffee Stain Remover
There may be time when due to your busy schedule you are not able to attend the stain immediately and then they become nasty. Now, if the coffee spills over a large area or coffee stains have dried up, the above-mentioned ways can be very tiresome and it is difficult to remove it. In this case, you can use a coffee stain remover which is readily available in the market. You need to choose it according to your carpet fibre. Best way to know about you carpet fiber is to check the laundry tag on it. Still you must do a strip test preceding the application on a bigger section. Before applying this cleaner, you need to moisten the area. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to get the best result.
Summing up, these are some effective methods of removing coffee stains from carpet. Cleaning the stained carpet requires a few attempts, but you need to try your best and find that coffee stains get lighten. Soon, you will have your old clean carpet back! So, get yourself a steaming cup of coffee and kiss goodbye to the ugly stains on the carpet.
If you have tried any other method to get rid of coffee stains on the carpet, do share it in below comment box!
Have a look at other articles related to carpet and its cleaning: