Why Cement is Important Construction Material?
Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
Cement is very important building material among other in construction industry. Cement has replaced all other building materials, like clay and lime, which ruled high for hundreds of years, in construction from last century. It has an ability to hold the structure together.
Also Read: All You Need Know About Cement
Courtesy - 123rf
Cement is now used in many construction trade items like plain cement concrete, reinforced cement concrete, mortar, plaster, grouts, paints and in pre-cast elements.
One of the characteristic of a developed country is its growing infrastructure and hence cement is an important element for the development of country and its economy.
As on date natural materials like lime has many limitations, while modern binder materials like polymers, epoxy etc. are very costly and hence cement is the best alternative. Thus polymer and epoxy have solved many limitations of cement as a binding material.
Some of the reasons for its popularity and universal acceptance are listed below:
01. Cement can be produced in large volumes in controlled condition, packed and transported.
02. Cement is a several times stronger binding material than lime and clay.
03. It can be mixed and used at will with locally available materials at site.
04. When stored properly in ordinary atmosphere it does not deteriorate for reasonably longer time (at least 3 to 4 month).
05. When mixed with water, starts setting and gain sufficient strength in a day or two, where as other binding materials require much longer time. Hence increase speed of construction.
06. It can withstand compressive stresses well. Where tension and shear stresses occurs it gives good bond to steel reinforcement and transfers excess stresses to steel.
07. It is produced from the materials like limestone, hematite, bauxite, clay, etc which are plentifully available in the upper crust of the earth.
08. It imparts strength and durability to building elements. Not only that with cement, the speed of construction also gets faster.
09. It is comparatively cheaper material.