Role of Civil Engineer at Construction Site
Shekhar Parikh is the Co-Founder of gharpedia.com and Director of SDCPL. He leads affordable housing projects at SDCPL, a leading design consultancy firm having strong national presence. He is a Civil Engineer with vast experience of 35 years. He is the core member of Editorial team at Gharpedia. He is also co-founder of 1mnt.in the first in Industry software for contractors’ billing.
Role of a civil engineer is vital for construction project. Here, we have restricted the role of civil engineer up to house construction only. The activities carried out in construction works (of a house here) are highly dynamic in nature. Sometimes unexpected decisions and actions have to be taken spontaneously on construction site. Depending upon the type of work on/off site the role of a civil engineer varies. Role of civil engineer in various construction works is not constrained (or rather fixed) to any particular task.
The major categories where a civil engineer works on the site are described below.
It intends to convert the design into reality. It includes the checking of plans, drawings and quantities. Finalize the plan, coordinating with client’s demand, architect, interior and structural engineer.
02. Quality Engineer – QA/QC:
QA(Quality Assurance)/QC(Quality Control) engineer ensures that all the materials used and work performed are as per specifications.
03. Safety Officer:
Responsible for safety of workers. To give instructions, health and safety training and provision of welfare units for labourers time to time. In case, if safety measures are not followed, construction works should be immediately stopped at that point itself.
04. Planning Engineer:
To deal with the assets(i.e. material and labour) at site. Efficiently organizing the plant and site facilities. Day-to-day management of construction site including labour force
05. Billing Engineer:
Preparation of bills for subcontractor and clients.
The Role of civil engineer does not limit to above mentioned points. Apart from these; duties performed by a civil engineer on a construction site are as follows:
- To bring to notice if any discrepancies in drawings, quantities and rates as well as make necessary changes if any.
- Liaising (coordinating) with consultants, subcontractors, supervisors, planners, quantity surveyors and labourers involved in the project.
- To keep an eye on surveying works (i.e. to confirm the boundaries correctly) and setting out (i.e. plotting or marking of the plan on field/site as per plan on the sheet).
- To save on material and labour cost along with adding a valve to the structure.
- Agreeing a price for materials, and making cost-effective solutions.
- Checking of materials at the time of delivery.
- Setting up the sequence of work in accordance with the drawings and specifications.
- To check on safety measures taken by people working on site.
- Resolving technical issues arising, if any, during execution of work.
- Keeping record of drawings, technical reports and site diary.
- Counselling and Supervising junior or trainee engineers and give them health and safety training.
Role of civil engineer on site varies as per the work carried out at construction site and work schedule. A Civil Engineer looks after all the works of the project form the very first planning stage to the last commissioning stage.