Advantages & Disadvantages of Self-Supporting Roofing System
Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
The trussless roofing system is also known as self supporting roofing system. This roofing system is an attractive and unique alternative to a building, industrial shed, etc. Architects usually suggest this type of roofing system because they allow the wide scope of innovative designs & aesthetics.
Before you choose to install self-supporting roofing system, here we have described some basic advantages & disadvantages of self supporting roofing system:
- This type of roof requires less maintenance and has a long life.
- There is a quick and easy installation of roofing sheet.
- Roofing sheets are mechanically sealed and free from holes, nuts, bolts, overlaps or sealants. Hence no leakage will occur.
- Trussless roof is non-combustible. It has a higher tensile strength which makes it stronger against accidents like fire and also resistance to extreme weather conditions. Even monkeys also can’t damage it.
- Distinguished architectural shape and flexibility of colours result in the strong aesthetic appeal.
- The roof consists of turbo ventilators that are self-rotating and provided at the top of a roof. These turbo ventilators throw out the hot air and keep building fully ventilated.
- The possibility of a bird building their nest is eliminated as there is no truss to support their nest. Thus it helps to provide cleaner and hygienic building environments.
- For the natural lighting, roof sheet can be fitted with 1mm to 2mm thick transparent polycarbonate sheets in the designed length and spacing.
- Up to 50% saving in cost as compared to conventional roofing system with truss and sheet.
- It facilitates larger enclosed volumes allowing free movement & effective handling of goods and higher flexibility in space utilisation.
- Heavy point loads can’t be applied to it.
- Very skilled labours are required.
- Installation of trussless roof requires a large area for installation plant and hence difficult where the site is located in crowded place.
- Several types of equipment & machinery used during installation are not available locally