Advantages & Disadvantages of Self-Supporting Roofing System
Gharpedia.com helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion.
This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
The trussless roofing system is also known as self supporting roofing system. This roofing system is an attractive and unique alternative to a building, industrial shed, etc. Architects usually suggest this type of roofing system because they allow the wide scope of innovative designs & aesthetics.
Before you choose to install self-supporting roofing system, here we have described some basic advantages & disadvantages of self supporting roofing system:
- This type of roof requires less maintenance and has a long life.
- There is a quick and easy installation of roofing sheet.
- Roofing sheets are mechanically sealed and free from holes, nuts, bolts, overlaps or sealants. Hence no leakage will occur.
- Trussless roof is non-combustible. It has a higher tensile strength which makes it stronger against accidents like fire and also resistance to extreme weather conditions. Even monkeys also can’t damage it.
- Distinguished architectural shape and flexibility of colours result in the strong aesthetic appeal.
- The roof consists of turbo ventilators that are self-rotating and provided at the top of a roof. These turbo ventilators throw out the hot air and keep building fully ventilated.
- The possibility of a bird building their nest is eliminated as there is no truss to support their nest. Thus it helps to provide cleaner and hygienic building environments.
- For the natural lighting, roof sheet can be fitted with 1mm to 2mm thick transparent polycarbonate sheets in the designed length and spacing.
- Up to 50% saving in cost as compared to conventional roofing system with truss and sheet.
- It facilitates larger enclosed volumes allowing free movement & effective handling of goods and higher flexibility in space utilisation.
- Heavy point loads can’t be applied to it.
- Very skilled labours are required.
- Installation of trussless roof requires a large area for installation plant and hence difficult where the site is located in crowded place.
- Several types of equipment & machinery used during installation are not available locally