Bunk Beds for Your Kids: All You Need to Know!
Gharpedia helps to Build/Own/Rent/Buy/Sell/Repair/Maintain your dream house by providing all the tips & tricks in easy languages. It provides solutions to all problems pertaining to houses right from concept to completion. Want to become a contributor at gharpedia? Register here
Modelling a perfect house is easier said than done as you need to take care of several aspects before finalizing on a particular design, feature, colour or the size that suits your house. It is also essential that you make these decisions after giving due consideration to all the aspects associated with them. To help with this, we have set up a list of instructions to help our readers get the required information about house interiors and modelling, especially about bunk beds.
As said by ‘Linda Hallam’ (Editor of Making a Home), many young parents dream of making an initial investment in their children’s furniture, and it can be achieved by a proper planning such as selecting neutral styles, good quality and colours. When it comes to bunk beds design, the first thing that comes to mind is whether the area of the room is less for the kids’ or not, because lesser room accounts for some innovative and unique methods that will help you use the limited space optimally. Hence, we should go for bunk beds for smaller rooms. But there is a catch in this; as for bunk beds make the most out of the bedroom space and it also requires you to have some knowledge about the basics that will ensure that you make an informed choice.
Why Go for Bunk Beds?
Apart from their space-saving benefits, you will find that some bunk bed designs are way more organized and spacious relative to other types of beds. A typical bunk bed will have lower berth drawers and will be made in a very efficient manner which allows for maximum mobility of the users.
Also, when it comes to providing that extra space for guests, you can also customize the whole design to add another layer of bedding beneath the main bed. It will be like a drawer bed which will come in handy when there are guests (and most of the Indians loves to entertain guests in their house, don’t they?).
As said by ‘Lauri Ward’ (Author of Trade Secrets from Use What You Have Decorating), children need more space to play, so bunk beds should be preferred for their rooms. Trundle (movable) beds can also be used. Additionally, use an inflatable bed that can be stored in a closet when not in use.
They are fun: – For younger children, bunk beds are an enjoyable experience, and they are known to give a memorable experience to the kids growing up.
How to Choose the Right Bunk Bed?
It is not every day that you go out for shopping to build or remodel a new home. To get the best out of your efforts, follow the instructions given below to get yourself the best bunk bed.
- The Millennial are different from the Generation Z and the generations preceding them. They want everything to be styled as per their wish, hence, to save you from future disagreements in terms of shape, size, colour, and several other aspects, take their choices into consideration as well. The important factor is that at the end, it will be the kids who will use them the most.
- The top bunk bed can be customized to be more spacious than the bottom ones. So, make sure that you buy the right bunk bed for your children. Find out whether or not they need more space to sleep in than other kids.
- Don’t forget about the drawers as innovation is the key here. Unlike traditional bunk beds, the new age beds are made with many compartments and drawers. There are trundle (movable) beds along with a lot of additional accessories that will make for the perfect bed for your kid’s room.
- When it comes to types of bunk beds for kids’ room, you will find that there are a wide variety of bunk bed designs, including twin over twin bunk bed, three-storey bunk beds, compartment-style beds, etc. Some beds will fit right above the master bedroom and will help you a lot of space in the room. You can also consider buying lofted beds made of futon or even the lofts made above the study of your kids. The important thing is that if you go with an open mind, you can improvise accordingly. Because of the more bunk bed styles that you will see, each one of them will look perfect to you. So, make the best choice given in the situation, so that you will not have to regret it later.
- Safety is also very important; you cannot look over the safety measures while going for style and aesthetics. Ensure that all the bunk beds have rails around it and the mattresses are hygienically clean and tidy for the kids. As said by ‘Linda Hallam’ (Editor of Making a Home), guard rails must surround the top bunk, except for the small ladder area. The ladder has to be secured by frame.
Upkeep and Maintenance of the Bunk Beds
As important as it is to choose the right bunk bed, it is equally essential to take good care of the beds. To do that you need to acknowledge and ascertain a few things and follow them in a routine.
01. Daily Dusting
Dust doesn’t do much harm other than making any piece of furniture look very dull. It penetrates the cracks and crevices of the furniture and the furniture will lose its shine. Also, it is very important to clean it with a soft cloth that has no added elements to it like buttons, zippers etc, which might damage the surface of the furniture.
02. Moisture and Humidity
Moisture is the worst enemy of the furniture in your house. If it is exposed to it for a longer period of time, the wood will start to expand, and the whole structure will deteriorate.
03. Metal Frames
Although the metal frames are made of stainless steel and have anti-corrosive properties, you need to take care of the metal structure because it is susceptible to bents and there may erupt sharp edges and severe injuries might cause due to this. So, on the first sight of bents, get professional help and get it repaired.
04. Pay Attention to the Support Structure
The structure of the bunk beds is also vulnerable to damage over time. You need to keep a tight vigil on this structure. Check the joints and hinges regularly and make sure that all the bolts are intact or if any of them needs tightening.
Relocating a bunk bed to another room or if you are shifting the house, has to be done with utmost care. Disassemble the bed and then only re-assemble it in the new place. During this whole procedure ensure that you keep all the parts and peripherals of the bunk bed safely. Even the smallest missing component can affect the overall structural stability of the beds.
Summing it all up, it might seem that you are in for a long and tedious process for choosing the right bunk beds design for your kid’s room. But that’s not just it as these are only just a few steps that you should take note. The maintenance tips are not just for kids’ bunk beds, but are also applicable to all types of furniture. There is one thing to keep in mind that bunk beds are not lifelong-needed. Once your child grows, it would be of no use as the living situation gets changed. They do not provide separate flexibility in future unless they are easily detachable and used as two different single beds. We want to ensure just these two things; one, that you spend your money well, and second, that you take care of your investment. So, Happy Shopping!
Image Courtesy: Image 3
Charanpreet Singh – Charanpreet is a home improvement enthusiast, he is inspired by the interior kerb appeal and wishes to study the impact the interiors have on our lives. He studies different styles and designs that enhance the house interiors and everything in your home.